Author Topic: wheelie bar sensor  (Read 13944 times)

dreracecar

Re: wheelie bar sensor
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 09:42:43 PM »
So very true, you have the right to either jump out the window or take the elevator, both will get you to the bottom floor

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 02:40:26 AM »
I use playground chalk, on the WB wheel, mustly because the chalk comes in different colors, so we can tell which marks on the track are ours. I'll add more front-end weight when we get 2 or more chalk marks, the 1'st one comes at the hit when the slick squats.
I don't use a wheelie bar sensor, but Alan at A-1 Trans and converters suggested I try one when I asked about how I could reduce the "J" hooks I see on the driveshaft curve on my RacePak. He said it would tell me how much pressure is being put on the WB, and that would give me an idea how much more ballast for the front end. It's all about car balance, I can't tell you how many times I've told racers to put another 15-20 lbs on the nose and run a quicker ET, besides being able to steer the car.
I use the V300 RacePak data-logger, if you don't run a mag they sell a cheaper "Sportsman" model, but I run a MSD 20amp Mag so I need the V300. I know Bruce[ dreracecar] does not need a data-logger because he has figured out his 7.0 combo, but I'm trying to run in the 6's in Heritage JrFuel. So my "squigly lines" tell me what converter to run, what tire pressure, launch rpm, driveshaft/tire speed, shift rpm, finish-line rpm, besides fuel pressure, fuel flow, egt's, vacuum. Besides the RacePak, I also keep track on my run sheets of weather, jets, timing, ET slip, driveshaft speed, exhaust at the hit, max G's, egt, fuel pressure & fuel flow at shift and at finishline, rpm right after the shift [ true converter stall ] oil pressure, high speed shim pack, and track, tire, engine, temps, at startline and after the runs. I keep a run sheet for each race, so I can go back to the sheets the next time I race at that track.
I hope this helps.
Feel free to call with any questions, 805-444-4489, Jon at Hayden Wheels and JrFuel DragsterAssociation
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 05:08:41 PM »
Spiral note book and a papermate pen with blue ink

im thinking about using the MoTec CDL3 dash logger and the E888 egt expander.   CDL3 can log up to 500hz and up to 300 channels.   only thing with motec, its not a plug and play deal like Racepak.  but, your not paying 175 to 250.00 and up for each sensor.  just use standard 0-5v off the shelf sensors.  also, you cant beat the data logging software either.   

so, 3k for cdl3 and e888.    versus racepak dash, sportsman and egt module.  basically the same price.. but, a standard off-the-shelf oil pressure sensor is what 20 bucks?   verus 250 for race pak.. thats where you would save with the motec in my opion let alone have a better sample rate, more channels, and best data log software on teh market.

as mentioned, its not plug and play like race pak.. so take a little effort to use. 

Offline Rodchucker

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4: 7.67 @175
  • Your Engine: Ford Cleveland 351ci
  • Your Track: Willowbank Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: Spitzer Mobil1 Bantam
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2016, 03:34:05 AM »
Try a cheap go pro knock off mounted on the wheelie bar or diff, I find that works well.

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2016, 09:12:42 AM »
i should of put more thought into this before posting.  quartermax sells two load cells. just need to get 0-5 3k or 5k sensor and wire it in.  simple deal.

http://quartermax.com/rj-wheelie-bar-load-cell/

http://quartermax.com/wheelie-bar-load-cell-single/