Author Topic: fr sale don long 68 roller ex top fuel frm minnesota area  (Read 5130 times)

Offline blown away

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.10
  • Your Engine: hemi
  • Your Track: interlake dragways
  • Your Vehicle: fed dragster
  • General Location: central
fr sale don long 68 roller ex top fuel frm minnesota area
« on: August 06, 2016, 11:44:17 PM »
looking to sell my ex top fuel digger 68 don long built.its bern updated to 7.50s. Owned by doug walton of Minneapolis. Tom hoover got it over here. 204 wheel base and was driven by vern anderson/ron manke.rear end was stamped by lenco/Meyers and was made into a full floater in 72. But dont have that rear end any more. But have another eight and three quarter with 411 gears with strange axles. It'd a complete roller with a shorty body. Asking 6500.00 US can send pics to ur email. Pm me please and pass it on other race sites. Located text 204 914 2451 :)

Offline blown away

• View Profile
Re: fr sale don long 68 roller ex top fuel frm minnesota area
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 09:30:32 PM »

That would be Denny “ the kid” Darragh. He bought a lot of stuff from Tom Hoover and was sort of a fill-in when someone didn’t show for a Fuel Program. Don’t know where his money came from, maybe from his dear old Grandma who lived in Wpg. He had absolutely no luck as far as I know with his racecar. It constantly popped blowers and often before it got to the line. He was tied up with a Mr. Winder who had an electrical contracting outfit in St. Vital. Bob Bueckert kept his Pro Stocker in the same place. Darragh was sponsored by Wylie Mercury, where Stadium Ford is now. Funny you should mention this now since it was on Dec. 12, many years ago that Al Wylie, owner of the dealership disappeared to somewhere South with a lot of money. He left the place locked up and the whole staff had no cheques for Xmas and then found out he hadn’t been paying their income tax/ CPP deductions etc. either. After that Darragh sort of just petered out as far as I know. He moved back to MPLS. and was tied up with Finn and Manke, 2 talented Top Fuel guys. It turned out in the end that all the blower problems were traced to the parts they didn’t replace after every blower bang, not the mag, not the blower, not the blower manifold, not the heads, etc. but he was using old Surplus braided fuel lines. The nitro and alcohol mix ( and probably benzol, too) had eaten the rubber inner lines and they separated from the outer casing. As soon as the fuel started to move, the inner line collapsed and instant lean out and also instant hole in wallet. Don’t know if he ever made a full pass???? The old Golden Boy body was last seen in Transcona. This would be about ’70-’72 or so. My only lead to it would be Tom Tallman who used to be Woody’s  Performance or maybe Gordie Ross, the late Bill Wakeman’s partner. I had heard that someone who was associated with Woody’s had the body. Another lead might be Arnold Schwartz who ran A and G on Notre Dame for years. Who knows where he is??? I’m not sure. Just a hunch but a good lead might be the guy that ran G/Gas for many years, Doug Curtis. He was in the gravel business for years. That’s about it. It would be neat to find that body but it’s been a VERY LOOOOONG time since it has seen the light of day- about 35+ years. See Ya!!!

Offline blown away

• View Profile
Re: fr sale don long 68 roller ex top fuel frm minnesota area
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 02:26:55 PM »
Here's from the horses mouth. Could be the same car.

On 8/13/2016 12:13 PM, Bob Meyer wrote:

Guys; There is lots of confusion on Doug’s Long cars.This car was built for Doug while I was living in CA. with the “66 Long car we raced together that year. In “67 he and the late Gary Allen Peterson debut the famous “poster car” with the Bob Sorrell body, Gary stayed behind, while Doug and Vern Anderson reunited in Minnesota. That car was sold to “Broadway Freddie”. This “68 car was run in CA. and MN. with Ron Manke driving in spring, but when he went back to CA., Vern Anderson drove the rest of that year, when it was sold to Hansel & Sherwin from Winnipeg who ran it in “69 with a 426 w/ torqueflight in A/D for several years, then disappeared. There was also a “69 car that was run 3/4 of the season, then sold to Bruce Ross in Mpls.

The “68 car in question, to my knowledge has sat since about “72-74 in Canada, and has been for sale for at least 5 years, and I have no idea where it went, or where the nose is.

In regard to the floater Ford housing, I built over 150 housings for Lenco to be installed by customers. I also built at least 75 more for direct buy customers with Meyer stamped on top, instead of Lenco, but never BOTH !

The “66 car which I brought back to Mpls. in “68, fitted the “Der Weinerschnitzel” tail piece (which I won in a poker game from Nicol) and built a nose, was sold to Rowe & Jones from Iowa and can be found on Don’s site.

Bob

Bob Meyer
Meyer Race Cars / San Diego
2015 Our 50th Anniversary

On 8/12/2016 4:55 PM, 71mervin wrote:

Offline blown away

• View Profile