Author Topic: rear wheel back space  (Read 5439 times)

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
rear wheel back space
« on: February 14, 2013, 12:33:14 PM »
Roo, I been reading the post here, had a question.  Do you have a preferred back space for your chassis (pretend wheel spacers don't exist).  What do you like between tire sidewall and body panel.

Offline Blind Mule

• View Profile
Re: rear wheel back space
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »
I think they look better close but that's my opinion ;)

Randy!

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 02:17:48 PM »
I am with Randy on this one, I like them close to the body which is how the majority of cars were back in the day. Most of the older wheels are around 3.75" backspace (Halibrand, Torque Thrust etc). I usually set the wheel and tire package up against the car and work out the rear end width from there. My cars are narrower at the lower rails than at the top so I usually put the upper sidewall of the tire about 1/2" out from the body. If the car does get sideways and distort the tire it will move more at the bottom and there is more room there with the narrow lower rails. If the tire does get into the body you end up with those donut shaped scuff marks that were common in the 60's if you saw the car with the rear wheels off.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 06:48:19 PM »
I slowly moved from one setup to another.  My newest project has modern wheels with back space of 5" and just under 0.75" clear.  I like as close to the chassis/body panels too, in fact if they were just one big wide slick back there, I'd be more happy.......  but then I'd be on a motorcycle : )    Thanks Roo.   DF

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 08:35:11 PM »
Ironic reading this tonight. I was just thinking today about Richard Holcombs TF(3rd in the 4's) car from early 90's. Clayton Harris his crew chief had it snaked in and ran the tires way in,as matter of fact he flipped the wheels backwards. Winston Cherry our old chassis builder had built a funnycar for freind Melinda Green King that he pulled rear wheels in ny snaking chassis. It worked pretty good too.

I agree they look better when in close.I hate seeing cars doing burnout with enough room to stand between the tire and teh car with what  looks like foot of clearance.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot