Author Topic: Calling any little guys running petrol a carb and zoomies.  (Read 4577 times)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Howdy
Any little guys running petrol a carb and zoomies who can help me. I killed an engine last year during my first meeting since the 1980's because fundamental things like oil had changed formulas and removed Zinc. I've rebuilt (Chrysler small block) and to run it in and sort it out I've removed my fuel injection and gone from methanol to 750 DP Holley and petrol. I have 6-8" flames out of the pipes. Yes it looks cool but I don't want to kill a second engine so  school me on running pump gas. Is this the norm with 98 ULP?
Cheers

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: Calling any little guys running petrol a carb and zoomies.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 04:48:58 AM »
Sounds like it needs more timing
If timing is retarded it will put massive heat out the exhaust and is not good for the engine
I raced a small block Mopar for over 20 years--on gas , depending on head and chamber they usually like about 38 degrees Total timing with factory style iron heads--modern aluminum heads with better chamber design can use some less--also depends on flat tops or domes--domes require / like more
I have lots of Mopar parts and connections if you need anything
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 05:03:55 AM »
Thanks Dave. The Maggie was only snugged up and I caught it turning and twisted it back but shut it down as it was getting pretty hot before I put a timing light on it. I went to start it later this arvo but my battery wouldn't come to the party so now it's tomorrow after work.
Cheers
Tony

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 07:05:11 AM »
What has been said sounds right , but you have too remember all timing lights are different you always use the same one.when we ran gas. staged at 200*F had a rad a water pump still ran hot and had to tow it to the pits.then cool down in the pits. good luck 

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 05:41:11 AM »
your timing is too far retarded.  Also get rid of any mechanical advance and lock out the distributor, it will bring the staging temps down considerably.  Right now your timing is putting all the heat out the exhaust port and the cylinder heads are taking all the heat.