Author Topic: AN / NAS Bolts  (Read 5574 times)

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
AN / NAS Bolts
« on: June 20, 2016, 06:00:13 AM »
Can anybody tell me the difference between AN and NAS bolts ?

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
Re: AN / NAS Bolts
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:00:54 AM »
I know AN stands for Army/Navy and NAS stands for National Aerospace Standards other than that check out the attached website.

http://www.zenithair.com/kit-data/ra/hardware.html

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 09:37:41 AM »
visually the NAS hex bolt would have a dimple in the head and are suited for areas that are in single shear verses double shear as the AN bolts would be.
Since we as racers tend to oversize the bolts and nuts on our cars, the AN standard works in all apps and are less expensive then the NAS. One area that I do install the higher grade is in the mounting of the rear end housing

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 11:55:12 AM »
Thanks guys

Bruce, what size bolts do you use on the reared and for things like hairpins and torsion bar ends

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 12:41:50 PM »
(4) 7/16 grade 5 or better bolts with steel self locking nuts on each side. This is right out of the SFI specs. 2.2C
3/8 hardware for the hair pins and torsion bar ends would be plenty IMO.

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 12:42:44 PM »
My normal source for NAS bolts go up to 3/8 dia and rear end mounting requires 7/16
in double shear 8 fitted AN-7 bolts arm more than enough. in single shear I would cut down a commercial grd-9 to use the bolt shank best suited for the app and just enough threads to properly tighten the nut.

In my time as a race car builder I have seen everything use to put a car together and for the most part (as Ive said) we tend to overbolt the assy.  Don Long use to bolt the front axle radious rods to frame and axle with 1/4" bolts in double shear, motor plates with 5/16 at the corners, steering has most always been 3/8- but 5/16 is enough.

dreracecar

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 12:50:00 PM »
(4) 7/16 grade 5 or better bolts with steel self locking nuts on each side. This is right out of the SFI specs. 2.2C
3/8 hardware for the hair pins and torsion bar ends would be plenty IMO.

AN bolts are considered a superior grade 5 with hardware store grd 5 "can be" below grd 5 standards and most just use commercial grd 8 because they look pretty. With prices today AN bolts can be cheaper to buy then grd 8, but it does take time to measure to get the fit correct. Hardware store grd8 they only stock 1/4 increments, but are offered in 1/8". AN's come in 1/16 incr.

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 05:45:35 AM »
thanks guys, went for AN bolts all round.  Expensive route over in the UK as most stuff is metric