Author Topic: Fuel leaking from nozzle air bleed hole  (Read 11974 times)

Offline Draw 3D

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Blown Alky 406 SBC
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 1923 T Roadster
  • General Location: Arizona
Re: Fuel leaking from nozzle air bleed hole
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 05:45:34 PM »
Can you record a video of the nozzles from just before shut down to after the dribbling stops? Curious to see how much they "dribble".

Offline Merryknees

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.90 / 170mph 1/4mile
  • Your Engine: blown methanol 392 hemi
  • Your Track: Jurby, isle of man
  • Your Vehicle: 39 Topolino + 41 Willys coupe
  • General Location: Isle of Man UK
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 08:22:00 AM »
OK lets ask this now--- the air bleed holes on the nozzle bodies are pointed up? or are they pointed down?
Neither, they are on the side :o which I am hoping and it seems obvious now, is where the problem lie's. Another thing, there is two holes, one either side  :o :o see pics below

they should be pointed up and any residual fuel from the nozzles tiny hole would seek the path of least resistence thru the large hole down lenght of the nozzle body and not to the top of nozzle hex.

Dont care for the vent placement as you have it, since it is below the highest part of the tank and on the back side, with a full tank under hard acceleration , fuel climbing the back of the tank will seek and find the vent line and exit the tank, with the fitting in the cap or a seperate (new fitting) at the top of the tank, fuel climbing the tank will not affect the venting
Point taken and understood, hence tank out off to workshop some mods and hey presto we have, I think, what you are advising Dreracecar

New nozzle bodies will be at the track for me to fit and hopefully all will be well.
No more fiddling now, loading up and off to the track. I will get back to you next week with conclusion, cheers guys  8)

Draw 3D I hope we have the solution so won't be videoing, the dribble was basically just that a dribble, not under any real pressure.

dreracecar

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 12:56:29 PM »
1000 % handled.

The AB hole on top also indicates the possision of the fan spray nozzle body tip to direct it into the blower opening. So my guessing is that all nozzles drip when its shut down and we never saw it do to the AB hole at the 12oclock possision

Offline Draw 3D

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Blown Alky 406 SBC
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 1923 T Roadster
  • General Location: Arizona
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 07:32:45 PM »
If it's just a dribble, you're good to go.

Question, using the bleed holes as a guide, it looks like your nozzles are pointed to the side and not downward, looking in thru the hat, are they visually pointing down?

Also, on my setup, the first row of nozzles from the hat opening point upward at a 45 degree to immediately cool the air charge, works pretty good on my setup.

Offline Merryknees

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 02:44:48 AM »
Update.

Just back from a weekend testing at the NSRA Nostalgia Nationals, Shakespeare Raceway, UK
New nozzles with only one hole positioned at the top were fitted and sorted the problem.
As for the nozzles that came with the used hat, it's anybodies guess as to what they were or used for. All I know is with the spray pointing down to the blower the AB holes were at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and I did say holes! They are now in the trash  ;D
Car ran an arrow straight 8.84 154mph, which is better than expected as the tune very mild + 6-71 street blower only pushing 7psi boost on 10% under.
New car and driver learning the ropes but SUPER  8) 8) 8) WITH THE OUTCOME.

Thanks guys for your valued advise, I would not have been able to sort the problem without your help AND Dreracecar the vent would have caused another problem i'm sure, which we were not aware of.

dreracecar

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 08:10:08 AM »
Glad it turned out well for you, later my thinking that the nozzle bodies could have been made/used for a stack injection and the AB hole didnt matter because the nozzle was pointing down, and that since you got it as a used piece and the seller just installed what he had laying around to make the unit complete

Offline Merryknees

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 12:13:40 AM »
Sounds good to me, chuffed to bits we sorted it though. We can now relax and wait for three weeks for Dragstalgia at Santa Pod when we will be up against all things Nostalgic, including Rat Trap and the Bradords Topolino fuel altereds.  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)