Author Topic: ETC Rev Limiter Help needed!!  (Read 4128 times)

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
ETC Rev Limiter Help needed!!
« on: July 04, 2016, 11:19:50 AM »
I have had this ETC Rev Limiter for 3 years now and it has yet to work right.  According to Hank it is picking up interference from the mag.  Seems the box could be shielded in some manor but I'm a mechanical eng. not a sparky.

I have Taylor spiral wires and have a separate battery supplying power, fuse box, grounded to the engine block and external coil.  Any help or tricks would be great.  Way too much $$$ into this and not have it work.
if you need to Hate target Laziness

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: ETC Rev Limiter Help needed!!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 02:45:19 PM »

Sorry to hear that. Have you given this a read?
http://www.fuelinjectionent.com/magsngremlins.php

Might be something in there that will help. Some folks have no trouble with those devices and others can't make em work at all.

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 08:42:58 AM »
Thanks for the great info Spud.  I was also told an AM radio may assist in finding the interference, but no consistence to find.   I did see the Vertex coil case is cracked again.  the first is at the coil post and now the second is at the terminals.  Would this increase the issue or can I just epoxy again?  (only a 2 year old coil)

Also what gauge shielded wire should I run from the mag to coil to switch to rev limiter?
if you need to Hate target Laziness

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 05:59:57 AM »

Sorry for the delay. Just returned from vacation.

I've never used a radio to find ignition noise frequency. The frequency changes with engine speed so it's a moving target.

The cracked coil won't cause any extra noise. The epoxy doesn't shield EMI or RFI at all. When we get coils like that in the shop, we inject epoxy into the cracks to keep dirt and moisture out to prevent a possible short to ground.

Normally, I'd recommend 16 ga. wire for such connections. If you're using some kind of multi-conductor shielded cable, then 18 ga. will work fine for your Vertex.

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions