Author Topic: shut downn bounce  (Read 13219 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: shut downn bounce
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 12:54:07 PM »
Thought thread looked familiar ,only 2 1/2 years old. Seems everyone's repl mainly breaks,which just so happens to have been main reason for OP. Bracket racing and breaking at finishline go hand and hand. Sometimes too much breaks is going to happen. Rereading replie's  I am thinking of adding the solenoid activated chute deal I had on old TA/D i ran. Was more of ol crap button,but a pre ol crap button might be ticket here. If lloks like going to be hitting breaks just dump laundry early so as to keep her straight if starts bouncing .Beside little excitement keeps it interesting and while straight is quick its also boring. LOL
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 02:17:10 PM »
If you have to hit the brakes hard before the finish line you missed the dial badly and need to work on getting your car consistent (or guessing better on the dial) rather than jumping on the brakes and upsetting the car.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 06:38:47 PM »
Well when you are holding 2 or 3 hundred and its close you have to run it to your drop point and drivers do get aggressive at times in heat of battle. Not saying its advisable but it does happen. Know my driver,he is not much on loosing and can get aggressive.LOL
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 04:20:56 AM »
This link will take you to a video showing the extreme consequences of trying to "dump" the opposition. It also illustrates the folly of wearing your shoulder belts loose so that you can look back. Mark Rebilas posted a motor drive sequence which shows why the driver of the left lane car was so badly injured.
  Here is the video link:

And this is the Rebilas sequence: markjrebilas.com/blog/top-dragsters-take-twin-tumbles-at-nhra-brainerd/

You can clearly see a haze off the rear tires on Kritzky's car as he brakes right before the lights. Some have argued that he was trying to avoid Monte Green but at that point he was ahead and his best course of action (if he saw Green getting into trouble) would have been to stay on the gas and get out of the way. The later photos after the impact with the wall show just how loose the shoulder belts were and why his injuries were so severe.
  Any braking before the finish line that induces tire smoke or gets the car bouncing should result in an automatic DQ. It amazes me that at one time an NHRA promo video showed Dan Fletcher's kid spinning out at the finish line in his stock elim Camaro, just missing the car in the other lane. I guess that it was intended to show how exciting the sport is but to me it was just an illustration of stupid driving.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 08:52:27 AM »
I  agree 1000% on seat belt deal.I know a huge percentage of drivers at this weeks 100k super bowl of bracket racing had seat belt loose enough they could probably have climbed out w/o unbuckling. Not to mention not wearing gloves so you can feel the trans breake button,BS. Also agree on smoking tires.Not as much on bounce,as few here have said letting butterflies shut too quick can cause it especially in FED as they have lot more issue than the cadillac  four link standard issue bracket dragster. Maybe because odds are hugely in favor of me being only guy crazy(according to most) enough to build a FED to bracket race.  Repeated times with bounce I can see as problem and reason for action.

I do not plan on getting into situation,but at same time taking steps to help reduce chances if driver(me) gets brain fart and can only see WIN lights.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 07:54:35 AM »
I work part time for NHRA div 1 and we have people in the tower that watch for things like that ! If we see a driver with loose belts he gets warned or excessive braking ! Some times you just cant save people from them selves !

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 09:00:25 AM »
Sometimes you wonder if you should save them.LMAO

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »
I like being in there so tight that I can barely breathe! On the bouncing thing...just don't touch the brake handle until you need to turn off

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2018, 01:55:45 PM »
I've bounced off the end of an outlaw track, started put it in neutral as I let off the gas after stopped before the end with out bouncing

Offline im6under

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.00 219 1/4 ages ago in a 219 mark williams red
  • Your Engine: 468 bbc
  • Your Track: None
  • Your Vehicle: None
  • General Location: Midwest
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 12:27:41 AM »
1994 we didnt have the (personal) rule, i know you armed the chute, baby, but show me the flag in my face before i stage.  :o

So after ripping the chute lever off the car i went for the brakes. And bounced and chirped all the way out into the sand pit at about 125.

Had roll cage blue smeared all over my brand new white simpson helmet. That pretty much ended that weekend.

Definitely was hard on the brake that got it going.