Social > Your Builds / Photo Gallery

K-88 / 6 Cylinder

(1/18) > >>

Countn Carbs:
Well I've had this in my mind for a number of years and have decided to get busy and start making this a reality.  I've always enjoyed 6 cylinders and I want to start off by saying a huge inspiration for this build was a man by the name of Joe Umphenour who ran 6 cylinder dragsters here in Colorado in the late 50's through the 60's.  Joe passed in 2010 but many of us remember him and admire what he accomplished including being inducted into the Colorado Motorsports Hall of Fame.  I think of Joe often.

My build is based on K-88 Chassis Research (reproduction by Cornfield Customs in Loveland, Ohio) and will run a 302 GMC 6 cylinder with a '58 olds rearend - transmission tbd.  Currently I'm gathering parts and will be mocking up what I can.  I welcome any constructive input as I really enjoy the front engine dragster scene even though mine is maybe a bit different.

Van:
Hi That K88 is going to be nice, you need to make sure to do a few updates to pass tec with it. If you need a Olds rear I have one ready to run with all the good parts.
 Van

Countn Carbs:
Thanks Van - Yeah before I even started this build I made contact with Kevin (Bandimere's Head Tech Inspector) and continue to keep him updated and involved with the build.  He's been very helpful and I plan to keep him involved as we go.

Thanks for the offer on the Olds rear...I appreciate that.  Matter of fact I just picked up a housing last week that came out of a TE-448 back in the day and it's the right width. It's just the housing though so I'll keep that in mind.

Countn Carbs:
Well I've been gathering parts here and there but also have started to look into mounting 302 jimmy/PG into the chassis.
Here is the beginning of the mid-plate.  It's basically a spacer which will then allow me to use a 1/4" aluminum mid-plate to mount the engine/tranny into the chassis.

Countn Carbs:
Here is the main part of the mid-plate.  I'm transferring the bolt pattern to some HD plastic (1/4") thick that I can shape and fit to make a template before cutting the actual aluminum plate.
I hope to be able to have the mid-plate also act as a firewall at the front hoop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version