Author Topic: caster and camber question  (Read 5640 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
caster and camber question
« on: February 10, 2013, 09:19:41 PM »
 What do you think would be good setup for fed using a-arm style frontend. 225" wb 26  wide and 18" wheels Hayden.Aluminum spindles.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:23:44 PM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: caster and camber question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 07:16:24 AM »
I usually run 0 degrees camber and 20 degrees caster. Back in the day cars had as much as 40 degrees caster but the most that I have used is 30 degrees on Brendan Murry's NT/F as he started out driving older cars and is used to that amount.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:10:21 AM »
Thanks. I knew the camber,wanted to dbl check and caster I wa thinking 15 to 20 was what i was looking for. Better to checdk tha screw itup and have to change.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 01:19:51 PM »
Hi Rooman.  My names Alan.  I met Brendan's dad last October at chrr in the swap meet area.  We got to talk about the old days a little bit.  I typically avoid buying used racing parts, but like to hear the stories.  I've read these last three questions to you and had one for you to share your "philosophy."
The "dreaded" threaded male rod end, few talk about them, we all use them in front suspension and steering.  They're made in mild steel and 4130.  Huge difference in cost......  they look similar.

Exposed threads, I've seen the rod ends with 1/2 inch plus threads exposed.  I had setup my front axle so LH and RH threaded male rod all the way in with no threads exposed at 25 degrees caster, and then adjusted it out for 17 degrees.  A few threads showing, makes me happy.  How about you?

Difference in mild steel and 4130 male rod ends, cost might drive some to choose one over the other for front suspension/steering........wrong-right?

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »
Alan,
       I may use regular ms rod ends on a cackle car but only use 4130 in steering and suspension applications. I try to position the ends in the bungs the same as you do leaving as little of the thread exposed as is required for "normal" adjustments. If the car is built right there should be no need to make major adjustments to any of the steering components. I usually do all of that on the jig with the spindles in the fixture so that they are aligned right from the start.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.