Author Topic: Steering quick release  (Read 5483 times)

Offline H.G. Wells

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Mild 383 SBC or 498 blown BBC
  • Your Track: Currently San Antonio, past Amarillo, Ardmore OK, Noble OK
  • Your Vehicle: late 60's FED of unknown origin
Steering quick release
« on: March 05, 2016, 01:32:58 PM »
Does anyone recognize this quick release? It is an SFI piece, but no idea who made it.
If I remember right it came from Bob Boulton 15+ years ago. Looking for another one.

Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

dreracecar

Re: Steering quick release
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 09:20:35 AM »
Sold by SPE years ago ,no !longer around

Offline H.G. Wells

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Mild 383 SBC or 498 blown BBC
  • Your Track: Currently San Antonio, past Amarillo, Ardmore OK, Noble OK
  • Your Vehicle: late 60's FED of unknown origin
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 11:00:51 AM »
Afraid of that. Whose piece do you like now?

Thanks Bruce I appreciate your help.
Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 07:54:28 AM »
For the most part I use the M/W unit as is has the most bolt flange options out there.  Don Long made the best ones out there for a time and was a standard in the fuel ranks, However his stubborness in his manufactering process made them difficult and expensive to make. When Don stopped the production, Ken Cox started to make them with a different machining process and knocked them out with the same quality and equal finnish and fitment for less money, But when Ken died so did SPE

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 09:39:01 AM »
For the most part I use the M/W unit as is has the most bolt flange options out there.  Don Long made the best ones out there for a time and was a standard in the fuel ranks, However his stubborness in his manufactering process made them difficult and expensive to make. When Don stopped the production, Ken Cox started to make them with a different machining process and knocked them out with the same quality and equal finnish and fitment for less money, But when Ken died so did SPE

what happened with all his stuff he had the best price on floater kits around! I picked up an axle that you built Bruce, a MW torsion bar, and some Strange spindles last week and it is making me think about building another car

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 11:51:25 AM »
Problem was that he was a one man shop and did not teach/show anybody the setups or how the programs loaded into the machines. The family sold off the machines and scrapped the tooling. Tried to go to outside vendors, but the learning curve made it a mess and the profit margins were not there anymore. There were some people that were willing to buy the deal from the family and continue, but by the time they made up their mind, the business was too far gone and others had already found other sources

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 12:14:23 PM »
that's too bad