Author Topic: Engine Torque Limiter  (Read 7966 times)

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
Engine Torque Limiter
« on: March 19, 2016, 10:57:17 AM »
 My old Dart block used torque limiting struts from holes where std. motor mounts would be angling up to a chassis tube. My new Brodix Alum. Block has the std motor mount pad milled off. I do run a 1/4 in. Alum mid plate. How have you quys limited engine fore and aft movement when you couldn't
bolt to the side of the block?

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
Re: Engine Torque Limiter
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 11:29:13 AM »
You could use the front of the block, back of the trans or even the back of the block if you could come up with some brackets that shared the trans bolt pattern. Some clutch cans have tabs just for that purpose if you're running a clutch.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 10:05:59 PM »
We, as every other FED with SBC that I see use the front water pump bolt holes for front motor mounts, that are clamped unto the chassis. And the rear motor plate bolted to the chassis, but some guys also clamp the rear motor plate to the chassis. It is a good idea to have the front motor mounts line-up with a chassis upright.
1'st photo is our front mounts, 2'nd photo is the rear motorplate, including our rear support mounted to the motor plate that helped cut down our tire shake, that with the rear trans mount keeps the chassis from flexing between the motor and rear end.
I'm surprized you would have a problem with it moving forward and rearward if the rear motorplate is bolted to the chassis.

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 06:38:55 AM »
Jon,I think he's looking for ideas just like that top link you have from the rear motor plate to the steering cross member. Motor plates will flex and eventually break without something to limit engine movement on launch. It's not as much of a problem on less frequently run cars like a lot of nostalgia cars, but on something like a bracket RED that gets run a couple days a week every week it can really take a toll. It can also help the trans live a happy life on the off chance that the coupler was bottoming out when the motor plate flexed.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 07:17:24 AM »
 ^^^^^   Yep, he is looking for something to stop the inertia of the motor (usually the heaviest part of the car) from having it try to move backwards (or actually stay where it is relative to the track) when the car launches. Although the link in Jon's car probably helps it would be a better idea to tie the trans mounts to the upper frame rails with an triangulated bracket. In Jon's car any severe fore and aft load will have a tendency to to flex the steering cross member.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 10:18:54 AM »
Much to do about nothing

On a clutch can those are blow back struts to keep the can in place during an explosion. The fit is rather loose to be able to get the can off

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 11:58:52 AM »
 Thanks for all the replies. The second part of the question was also touched on. Are torque limiters really needed? A wide chassis car with a .100 steel mid plate would much more "Needy" than a narrow chassis car with a 1/4 in alum plate bolted in. My front mount is the same as Jon's wing and clamp style. Johns car has allot more "Good Business" going on up front though! ;D

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 04:29:01 AM »
It took about a 100 passes at 1.24 60 foot times to crack my aluminum mid plate and also wreck the trans driving the coupler into the back of it.
It had a filled stock small block and its 19in. wide at the plate.
I wish I had put limiters in. Live and learn.

dreracecar

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 08:19:51 AM »
Torque is a rotational movement , if you was to stop rearword movement at the hit, then weld a strip of material to the motor plate uprite so that it backs up the aluminum motor plate and limits rear movment

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 10:28:28 AM »
Torque is a rotational movement , if you was to stop rearword movement at the hit, then weld a strip of material to the motor plate uprite so that it backs up the aluminum motor plate and limits rear movment

This helps, especially on cars with narrow motor plates.  I've seen motor plate's broken around the outline of the block as well, mostly on wider motor plates. I also radius every hole and edge on the motor plate, makes it a lot more friendly on skin if you slip a wrench near it and kills the stress risers as well. 

Offline Rusty Kramer

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.90 @ 185mph 1/8 Mile
  • Your Engine: 472CID KB Olds Blown alky 14-71 HH
  • Your Track: Eddyville Raceway Park Eddyville, Iowa
  • Your Vehicle: Self Build Rear Engine BA/D
  • General Location: Midwest
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 03:35:31 PM »
I agree with most everything said. I broke a motor plate on a soft leaving  1.25 60' RED after a couple hundred passes with no Limiters. I use the bars to my clutch can on our BA/D but I designed them to be very tight and solid.( Maybe I even need more support)  A big yes to removing all edges on the block and trans/bell and buff all the rough edges on all of your aluminum parts.