Author Topic: Building a Period Correct 1965 JR Fuel Dragster  (Read 5281 times)

Offline FED1965

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: none
  • Your Engine: 283 Chevrolet
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: Winnipeg Manitoba
Building a Period Correct 1965 JR Fuel Dragster
« on: February 28, 2016, 09:27:28 PM »
Hi everyone. I am just starting the process of building a period correct JR Fuel car that has to be period correct to 1965-67 as much as possible. I am going to build it approx 150' wheelbase with a period correct 3 pt cage. I don't expect to go that fast I just want it to look the part and smoke the tires a lot. I will be running a 283 or 302" Chevrolet with a Hilborn on Alcohol. I am going to run direct drive. I have the 1966 Lakewood explosion can and an old shaft with the bearing that fits into the center of the can-it was used on an old Altered from where I live in 1966-70. My question is where do I go to get the stuff I need to install an "in and out box" or disconnect for the driveline. I absolutely WILL NOT run an automatic and do not really want a reverser but would consider one as they did not come out till 69. I don't want to run a 3 speed with low gear removed either. I want this this to pretty much be bang on for 1965-67. Any help would be appreciated. Also looking for period correct rear wheels, steering box and wheel, etc etc. Any parts will be much appreciated-I should have started this project 20 years ago when parts were cheaper! I live close to the US border so I can have stuff shipped to North Dakota. I would like to get this direct drive thing sorted out first though. Phone number is 204 250 7123. Thanks Adam. The pic is pretty much exactly what it will look like when it's finished. I am really picky about the cage, chassis, rear end type, front suspension, etc. ANY old fire masks, etc. Much appreciated!

Offline FED1965

• View Profile
Re: Building a Period Correct 1965 JR Fuel Dragster
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 09:54:15 PM »
Also what would be the best most period correct steering box to use if I am trying my best to stay true to 1965-67 on my JR Fuel car? Any ideas? Up here in Winnipeg there aren't that many left in existence to look at and there weren't that many to begin with. I am hopefully going to get a good look at a couple here in the city soon but I still need a box of my own, I can fabricate lots of stuff but I need to know what box they used in that era.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 04:26:26 AM »
Any pro built car of that era most likely would have had a P & S box and a lot of the home builts used a Ross box. The same with spindles--P & S or Anglia (or sometimes regular early Ford although the junior fuel guys usually went for small and light)

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline FED1965

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:35:23 PM »
Thanks very much man I appreciate the advice.

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 07:15:54 PM »
Ross box was from forklifts, right?
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 08:18:55 AM »
Ross made steering boxes for a lot of things. Be picky and careful on used boxes, parts are no longer available or difficult to find. 

Tom Hanna has about 35 brand new P&S steering boxes, problem is getting ahould of him right now and the price

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 09:03:41 AM »
Adam – for 1965-67 years, here’s one for your consideration.  This listed by Joe Schubeck, I read your other post and see you’re familiar with Lakewood Industries.  Slightly wide for your Jr. Fuel project, just pretend you’re back in the mid-sixties and modify to fit, ask here in Rooman’s Room for details.  This setup is prime example of how it was done, mixing Chrysler and Oldsmobile.  Best part, be neat story to tell you got it from Gentleman Joe.  Alan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragster-Rear-Housing-W-8-3-4Chry-Cen-Sec-4-88-R-741-Case-2-Olds-Axles-uncut-/131704889668?hash=item1eaa392144:g:msQAAOSwFqJWnUwz

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 12:11:28 PM »
To some that might be a good deal, but may not be to others. could spend as much as $100 per axle to cut and re-spline and if there is no shop close to do that work, then you have back and forth shipping added on.
The 741 case has the smallest pinion shaft (1.375 dia) for the usable 8 3/4 rear ends out there. The 742 has a 1 3/4 shaft and the bearings are 15% bigger then the 489 case 1 7/8dia shaft (same case size but smaller balls in the bearings to fit the larger shaft).

Since all this Mopar stuff is somewhat easy to get, Your concentration should be the correct steering box and the single spot AIRHEART brakes for the car.Those items in good/useable condition gets harder to find every day. I have the source for the period correct hats,rotors and brackets (new)but calipers that are not junk take time to find.  Every other piece needed for this deal is just 1 phone call away from delivery to your door.