Author Topic: Straight axle to A arm engineering.  (Read 12541 times)

dreracecar

Re: Straight axle to A arm engineering.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 05:51:43 PM »
Axle/spindle layback is caster,
Camber is when the top of the tire tips in or out towards or away from the chassis centerline.
 Possitive camber (a little is desirerable for flex) is the top of the tire tipping away from the chassis centerline
 Negative camber is the tire tipping in towards chassis centerline and make the front axle look bent.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 04:48:13 AM »
Digster,
            I was talking about the inclination of the king pin to the spindle axis on the spindle alone, not relative to the installation on the car. As Bruce notes positive camber is the rear of a Volkswagen Beetle that has just been let down off a floor jack. Negative camber is the same car full of elephants.
    Replacing a stock Anglia spindle with any of the aftermarket versions will result in negative camber of varying degrees depending on brand.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 05:26:27 AM »
Thanks for the info Guys
HG thanks for sharing your thread

Offline H.G. Wells

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Mild 383 SBC or 498 blown BBC
  • Your Track: Currently San Antonio, past Amarillo, Ardmore OK, Noble OK
  • Your Vehicle: late 60's FED of unknown origin
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 03:36:49 PM »
" the Strange (or any other late model) spindle is not a straight interchange for the Anglia. The king pin boss height variation can be fixed with a shim but the king pin inclination is different. Original Anglia is 9 degrees, most aftermarket (P & S, Neil and Parks, McKinney,  Boulton etc are 8 degrees and Strange are 7."

I just opened a box full of goodies from Parks.  I was not aware that they were making spindles till Rooman posted this. Frank told me about his new aluminum spindles so I ordered a pair, I think he said it was the 10th set since they listed them a few days ago. Like jewelry, typical of Neil & Parks products.  I will post up some pics when we have the A arms done.
Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 05:51:38 PM »
Sounds great HG
 Frank told me about his new Alum spindles too. Looking foreword to your pictures.