Author Topic: Stack injection and bracket racing  (Read 6943 times)

Offline crider

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.01
  • Your Engine: BBC
  • Your Track: farmington, Nc
  • Your Vehicle: in progress
  • General Location: south east
Stack injection and bracket racing
« on: February 05, 2016, 03:40:48 PM »
I've been thinking of using mechanical injection on my FED, but it will be used mostly as a bracket car. 511 BBC with a glide.  I have some experience with an enderle bird on a blower, but I have never dealt with any of the stack setups. Is it possible to get them to run consistent enough to bracket race without being driven insane along the way? And what would be the best to try, hilborn, kinsler or something else?   

Offline JakeB23

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Re: Stack injection and bracket racing
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 06:18:52 PM »
Can it be done? Yes. The biggest problem I had was, unless your being towed in the lanes, injection doesn't like to be started 5 times before its time to race, I had a primer system, which helped, but since injection doesn't have accelerator pumps, it can be a challenge to start... Have a tow car, or be first in line.. IMO

Offline spookie

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.92 1/4 5.59 1/8
  • Your Track: Quarter Aces drag-o-way
  • Your Vehicle: F.E.D.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 04:21:20 AM »
I have bracket raced 12 years with crower injection. After first start-up day,no more priming. Just watch weather.Vapor pressure and humidity are E-T changers.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 06:45:59 AM »
Been runing FI since 1985.Agree that after first fireup of the day there should be no problem.Now on the stack injectors I have no experiance but see no reason why they should be any different than any other style. Primer system seems to be very popular with lots of bracket racers.

Biggest thing with Stack style would be need for some sort of screen over them especailly when sitting behind burnout area and on return roads which are rarley gravel fee. I have one injector that mopunt straight to top of tunnel ram whit butterflys on top and would allow  anyint landing on it to sit there till opened and thats main reason I am not using it. We all know the crap happens(see Glenn did even use actual wording)saying  is just for drag racing. With filtering or screening you should be fine.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 08:29:44 AM »
The thing I noticed with mine besides the stones and starting is idling. You can get the openings real close but I can't get them exactly the same. With zoomies I could see were 3 cyls were rich 3 were lean and the rest were just right.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 09:16:38 AM »
I've been thinking of using mechanical injection on my FED, but it will be used mostly as a bracket car. 511 BBC with a glide.  I have some experience with an enderle bird on a blower, but I have never dealt with any of the stack setups. Is it possible to get them to run consistent enough to bracket race without being driven insane along the way? And what would be the best to try, hilborn, kinsler or something else?
    Yes you can and you have a lot of options . You can use stack injection or a bug on a tunnel ram or a Rons throttle body set up on a 4 barrel manifold . The stack injectors can be a little touchy but it is just a matter of getting the butterflies in sync . I use a pair of the Rons throttle bodies on a tunnel ram manifold and have had great luck with them .

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 06:35:08 PM »
I bracket race with an Enderle hat and it works quite well. Stack injectors should be similar.

Offline crider

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.01
  • Your Engine: BBC
  • Your Track: farmington, Nc
  • Your Vehicle: in progress
  • General Location: south east
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 07:28:19 PM »
I knew the enderle and the flying toilets both work very well for running consistent. but I was interested in the stack injectors for the classic FED look 

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 05:16:13 AM »
The hardest part is getting the butterflies even and you can do it with a uni sync tool . I think  Kinsler sells them . Parks also sells an adjustable air bleed for stack injectors . Injected Alcohol is deadly consistent !

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 05:56:49 AM »
On consistency. My first racecar was 66 nova with injected 454 in 1986. Car was deadly,driver not as much.I had muliple nights with tickets that where identical for 4 or 5 straight runs. I made semis 3rd,4th and 6th race out with it. Won 5th.Now these where just little local track but normally had 30 to 40 cars.

Keep it simple and do the work to get it tuned out and you probably will not have change jet  cpl times a year and then only with big weather swings.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot