Author Topic: another converter question  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Mrs Esterhouse

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.65 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: SBC
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: fed
  • General Location: midwest
another converter question
« on: February 02, 2016, 12:43:25 PM »
How important are engine dyno sheets to properly spec a converter?

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: another converter question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 01:50:41 PM »
knowing max torque and what RPM it happens at is very helpful but---there are so many other factors like max RPM you will turn etc  I really like Kenny at PTC in Alabama  That staff has about a hundred years of combined experience--Great units for less than many others. Since they usually all buy the internal parts from the same place it comes down to that experience--I know there are "super" converter builders that make some internal parts in house etc but for a very decent unit for less than others I really like PTC
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 02:32:01 PM »
Never had my engine on a dyno and won a butt-load of races, same converter for both 7.60 and 7.0. Its only truly critical for pro level Comp elim classes and certain door cars

Offline Mrs Esterhouse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 04:20:28 PM »
Thank you.

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 06:11:37 PM »
I disagree, the more info you give the converter people the better the converter with work for you. Dyno sheets are a good place to start, but real world numbers with a know converter can be very helpful. Shift points, cam specs, CID, launch rpm, gear ratio, and trans type all make a difference in building a converter to suit your application.

If you make more HP than you need and are slowing down to an Index, then the converter really isn't as critical, but if you are trying to utilize what you have to get to an Index, or for good repeatability bracket racing, you need a converter spec built to your car.

Hope This Helps, Dan 

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 09:05:33 AM »
I deal with Kris at contenental  and he has done a crapload of converters for all types of combos. Told him what I was doing and came back with "this is the converter you need".  Dyno time around here is around $800 session,  about close to the cost of a good converter, so thats why I deal with an expert and go by what he says

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »
Kris is a great guy, I use to get stators from him back when I built converters for another shop. They build really good stuff at a fair price.

Offline Mrs Esterhouse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 08:48:57 AM »
Thanks again guys, made some engine changes this winter and was hoping to get it on the dyno but it might not work out.  Last year was our first in a dragster, ran a 10" converter out of my door car. Really had pretty good luck but it was really tight and it's not going back in.