Author Topic: What year parachute, and fuel shut off mandatory  (Read 5642 times)

Offline 1916Racer

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: N/A
  • Your Track: Amarillo Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 1959 Dragmaster/In The Works
What year parachute, and fuel shut off mandatory
« on: January 29, 2016, 05:34:01 PM »
What year did parachutes, and fuel shutoff's for FED's become mandatory in NHRA. The one I'm restoring is 1960 283, stroked and bored about 352 ci, 6-71 blower, on gas. I can't locate a rule book from that era. Searching pictures I see early dragsters, some using chutes and some not. And if I'm looking at pictures correctly it seems the same was true for fuel shutoffs. Thanks Charles. 

dreracecar

Re: What year parachute, and fuel shut off mandatory
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 11:44:04 AM »
If you are doing a pure restoration, what do the pics of the car show???  Chutes were kind of a speed rule, Anything over 150mph  required  a chute and the fuel shutoff was more of a nessesity with injection with fuel as the only way to shut the engine off, with gas, just killing the mag would shut it down safely. If a pic shows no valve off the pump, could be that they had the valve off the fuel filter (Enderle style)

Offline 1916Racer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 03:18:06 PM »
I have no pictures of the car I'm restoring from 1960. It's a Dragmaster MKIV. Pictures from that time period show cars with and without chutes. So I was wondering when it became a mandated rule for cars over 150mph. I've seen a few early pictures that had fuel shutoff's on gas cars, since the engine could be turned off by switching off the ignition, would the fuel shut off had just been a precaution. Were fuel shutoff's for gas cars mandated by NHRA, and if so does anyone know what year.

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 08:37:18 AM »
This is a copy of a 1964 rule book and at that time no mention of parachutes in the dragster classes but the fuel shut off is

Sorry could not get the direct link to transfer
Go to the HAMB message board and do a search  "NHRA rules"   for link
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:47:55 AM by dreracecar »

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 09:17:28 AM »
Today someone posted on the HAMb a complete set of early rule books and was able to down load to my "dropbox" account

In 1965 there was no requirement for a braking parachute , but in 1966 NHRA added the requirement for a braking chute for cars where the national record was 150+ MPH

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 08:46:14 AM »
Gee, spent time researching an answer, and not even a responce  :-\

Offline 1916Racer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 06:15:11 PM »
Hay "dreracecar" that information was what I needed. I appreciate the time you spent and the information it provided. I've not been on my computer for awhile, got on to see if there was an update to my question and this is perfect. Thanks a lot for your help, sorry for the delay in my response. Thanks again Charles.

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 06:26:59 PM »
Glad it was helpful