Author Topic: Question about bushing lifter bores  (Read 4587 times)

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
Question about bushing lifter bores
« on: January 24, 2016, 10:18:11 AM »
So there is a lot controversy on bushing lifter bores in an aluminum block and restricting oil by the size of the hole in the bushing. I am building a Chrysler Wedge in a KB block. I am going to pushrod oil to the top. Is the only reason to restrict oil so if there is a lifter/valve train failure you wont loose oil pressure? Is there a benefit besides that? I am under the impression that more oil to the lifters is your friend on the pressure side to keep the wheel well lubed but also don't want to flood the top of the engine. Can someone please explain this better. I can also install restrictors in the back of the block. I just want to have the block bushed at KB if I go that route. I have been told it is a must do thing...
Thanks as always
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: Question about bushing lifter bores
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 10:35:57 AM »
What heads do you plan on running? With Indy -1 Heads you wind up with stupid push rod angle that needs offset lifters to fix--well..all Mopar offset lifters have chevy style oil bands that are too wide--it bleeds oil pressure off unless you have bushed bores. Depends a lot on what heads, what rocker set up Jesel, shaft mount stock style etc  Many Mopar guys run Comp 829-16 lifters as they are solid body and avoid oil pressure bleed off no matter what you run them in but then they are pretty sorry lifters compared to other better units out there--If You run Jesel with Indys then you go spray bar oiling for rockers etc--can get complicated--depends on your entire set up and plan---No better source for info than KB right? Todd Marsh at Marsh Perf in NC is one of your BEST Mopar assets--he sells it all and his tech advice is dead on--Period! He is the best Mopar source in the business--Honest, fair and tech savy as any Mopar guy alive--he has built, dyno'd and delivered more Mopar HP than almost any other vendor--all very quietly and almost behind the scenes. Call him 336 283 0800 tell him Kluttz sent you--he will make your program get up and go!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 12:54:20 PM »
Thanks Dave, Todd was very helpful. Still Difficult to decide, spend money now or do it later... It is a very expensive hobby if you want to go fast...

Offline Frontenginedragsters

• View Profile
    • Pro-Formance Specialties
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 05:32:38 AM »
Hemi Dakota:
 Is KB up and running again? I remember years ago Ken Black closed up shop.
Driving a Front Engine Dragster builds character and keeps you awake for a 1/4 mile at a time.
http://www.pro-formancespecialties.com/

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 11:19:10 AM »
Yes Ken is still at it. Has had his share of problems but appears to be fixing and trying to recoup/regroup. He told me he has had foundry problems and has had quite a set back. But is still building Blocks. I ordered a block on Oct. 6th and I would bet I don't see it until July or maybe Christmas... But when you want the best the wait is worth it is how I am looking at it. There is a lot of people saying he is done but he assures me he is out to prove them all wrong.

Offline Frontenginedragsters

• View Profile
    • Pro-Formance Specialties
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 04:46:07 PM »
I hope it works out. Keith Black Racing Engines is a name that should always be involved in drag racing.

Matt
Driving a Front Engine Dragster builds character and keeps you awake for a 1/4 mile at a time.
http://www.pro-formancespecialties.com/