Author Topic: converter  (Read 10794 times)

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
Re: converter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 10:50:54 AM »
I used a Coan 8in in my 468bbc altered and it was spot on with the stated stall from the specs I gave them. They estimated my power and torque within 10bhp and I think 20ft lbs to what it actually dynod at. Ran 8.64 first time out, over 200 passes and not one problem.

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 12:51:44 PM »
We chased our tails for a long time with a spec rite convertor, had it changed by them a couple times and it was worse each time. Changed to Continental and it was perfect. Its a 565 bbc leaves at 6200rpm. Is a GOOD TIME. Converters can make or break a combo...
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline Mr Froggy

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 12.23 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Thunder Valley
  • Your Vehicle: 68 Dodge Coronet 500
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 08:18:45 PM »
We chased our tails for a long time with a spec rite convertor, had it changed by them a couple times and it was worse each time. Changed to Continental and it was perfect. Its a 565 bbc leaves at 6200rpm. Is a GOOD TIME. Converters can make or break a combo...

I know this doesn't apply directly to Dragsters but I have to give my 2 cents on Continental Convertors.  About 6 years ago I bought a 9 inch Continenetal convertor for a 727 tranny off a Mopar website for $200 bucks.  When I got the convertor in the mail I took the number stamped in the case and called Continental and they gave me the specs and it was indeed bought new buy the guy I got it from.  I put it in my 68 Coronet and right away picked up 3 tenths over a TCI Super Street Fighter in the 1/4 mile.  A couple weeks later the guy I bought it from called me back and asked if I would sell it back!  He went on to say he bought a unit from Torque Convertor Concepts (An E-Bay Seller) and it slowed him down 3 tenths!   I told him I was very happy with it and said "Thanks, but no thanks".  He replied " I knew you would say that"

There are some good convertor company's out there but Continental is at the top from my experience.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 11:31:08 AM »
The one thing that has stood out with all of the form chats I have read and posted in past cpl years.These are mainly bracket deals. The converter is 90% factor for consistent and/or fast dragsters.Loose seems to be best for consiastency with slight compromise of max performance. Getting max performance can be tricky and takes few trial and errors.Seems you loose some consistency.

Like everything else in racing its all about combo.Change tires,gears,cam,heads or anyother item that may change power output and power band and you are back to changing converter a little also.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot