Author Topic: Fuel Shutoff  (Read 5018 times)

Offline 1916Racer

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: N/A
  • Your Track: Amarillo Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 1959 Dragmaster/In The Works
Fuel Shutoff
« on: January 14, 2016, 08:03:47 PM »
I've looked at numerous pictures to find the look or style of a correct fuel shutoff knob, or handle with the cable for a 1960 dragster. I'm still not sure what is correct for that period. Is there a fuel shut off cable with handle made today that looks correct for what I need. If not do you know where I could get a vintage one. Thanks Charles. 

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Fuel Shutoff
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 05:33:18 AM »
Charles,
             in those days there were no purpose built parts as there are today and a lot of racers uses a choke cable type deal. In the late 60's Don Long's cars had a T handle to pull on and a single wire cable that attached to the fuel shut off lever with a single screw pinch deal like an old bicycle brake mechanism.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:30:30 AM »
Aircraft Spruce sells some nice cable assemblies with the chrome "T" handle that are real nice also I have used cable units for big semi truck parts stores, but the thing to look for is the packaging, If it comes in a 12 x 12 box(or larger) thats good, if you find a choke cable assy that is vacuum sealed to cardboard and its been wound to 6" dia, very bad because the wire is now spring wound and will never get it straight

Offline 1916Racer

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: N/A
  • Your Track: Amarillo Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 1959 Dragmaster/In The Works
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 05:43:53 PM »
Thanks Rooman & dreracecar never thought about a vintage choke cable. Found a perfect vintage NOS one on e-bay that looks like ones I've seen in old pictures of dragsters interior shots. $14.95 free shipping. Thanks again. Charles

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 06:39:46 PM »
Those are wound too tight and you will never get the wire straight.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 06:48:05 PM »
Better to buy and old lawn mower and swipe some parts.  ;D