Author Topic: Chute lever relocation  (Read 10411 times)

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
Chute lever relocation
« on: December 27, 2015, 03:04:35 PM »
I am thinking of relocating my chute lever can I see some pics of locations on cars with a hand brake?

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Chute lever relocation
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 05:07:58 AM »
Paul,
       I will look to see what I have in the way of photos but if it is a pull brake I normally mount the chute lever so that once it is pushed forward the driver's hand is right where the brake handle is located--push the chute lever with your finger tips and then clamp hand around the brake lever. If it is a push brake--put the chute lever on the other side of the car---ask me how I know   :)

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 08:21:57 AM »
Kinda prefer the left side-cross your right hand over placement.. In a blind situation cross your right arm over and find the roll cage, slide hand down to the base and push forward on the lever

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »
I'm interested in this too Paul. I moved my chute lever from my brake handle (didn't like that as it was ez to snag on the way into the car) to my dash. Getting used to it but not so sure about that either.

Offline grdra1

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Calder park Melbourne
  • Your Vehicle: Topolino altered
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 01:40:09 PM »
A few pics of my setup, chute and fuel shutoff next to each other. Unsure if it will stay this way (as never used as car not finished) but feels ok when seated. Glen

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 02:43:17 PM »
Toooo many edges and things sticking out for my likeing

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 06:33:10 PM »
I'm interested in this too Paul. I moved my chute lever from my brake handle (didn't like that as it was ez to snag on the way into the car) to my dash. Getting used to it but not so sure about that either.
I was thinking of installing it on the brake lever, but that does bring up a good point

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 06:35:17 PM »
Kinda prefer the left side-cross your right hand over placement.. In a blind situation cross your right arm over and find the roll cage, slide hand down to the base and push forward on the lever
Bruce I will sit in the car and see how that feels

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »

I have a pull brake so what your saying is push the chute than go from that to pulling the brake

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 06:41:31 PM »
A few pics of my setup, chute and fuel shutoff next to each other. Unsure if it will stay this way (as never used as car not finished) but feels ok when seated. Glen

Glen looks good but my chassis is a little to narrow

Offline rooman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 05:00:58 AM »
Most "big show" cars have the chutes on the right just ahead of the front hoop of the cage so that you can do as Bruce suggests--back of your hand against the hoop, slide it down and push forward on the chute levers and then tug on the brake lever. Fuel shut off is generally on the left and most funny cars have the fire bottle lever on the brake handle.
  In my cars with auto transmissions (and foot brakes) I generally mount the shifter on the right and the chute lever on the left.

This is Brendan Murry's NT/F car that I built a few years back. As you can see, when the chute levers are pushed forward your hand is right in line with the brake lever. As with a funny car the fire bottle lever is on the brake.

Roo
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:16:10 AM by rooman »
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 08:12:35 AM »
Great picture totally understand, now I am looking at this is it best to have a separate lever both chutes? I currently have both chutes deployed from a single lever my thought on this is if one does not deploy once I determine it I will have traveled so much distance that the by the time the second chute is deployed it may be to late??
Any insight on this

dreracecar

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 08:46:16 AM »
"Big Show" cars also have a lot more room and the driver sits different.  Sit in the car all suited up(thats makes a big difference also)helmet included to find you best option.  With some cars the suited driver cant bring his hand back far enough to get behind the levers to push forward if on the right, and bending them in gets the driver tangled up while climbing in. Bottom line is that you can not fit the controls of the car unless you are suited up and belted in the car to find out what works  best  "EVERY TIME"

Offline rooman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 10:15:24 AM »
Great picture totally understand, now I am looking at this is it best to have a separate lever both chutes? I currently have both chutes deployed from a single lever my thought on this is if one does not deploy once I determine it I will have traveled so much distance that the by the time the second chute is deployed it may be to late??
Any insight on this

I guess that it depends on how fast your car goes and how long your track is. Running at Bowling Green for example it is a good idea to use both chutes in a nostalgia top fuel car but with a 7.0 car at around 200 mph two chutes will generally have you stopping on the track as the first turnout is a little too close to the finish line and there is only one other. Bakersfield has three turnout options that are spaced so that you have more leeway. Last September I ran 182 mph in Mark Vaught's car at Indianapolis Raceway Park and only pulled one chute. I probably should have used both as I was going a little too fast for the early turnout but not fast enough to make the second and the top end crew had to come out and get me. By the same token, I ran 186mph in Dan Horan's NT/F at IRP and stopped without the chutes. In that case I hit the chute and already had my hand on the brake when I realized that it was not opening so I had plenty of room to get it slowed down on the brakes. In that case it was a judgement call--do I let go of the brake and try the chute again (using up some shut down length in the process) or do I rely on the anchors?

Roo

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 03:17:48 PM »
Toooo many edges and things sticking out for my likeing
My first thoughts also.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot