Author Topic: synthetic vs. royal purple ATF  (Read 3642 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
synthetic vs. royal purple ATF
« on: December 15, 2015, 08:50:23 AM »
 What if any advantage is there to using royal purple ATF over a leading brand synthetic. Cost is twice as much wondering if benifits are there also.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
Re: synthetic vs. royal purple ATF
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 02:05:22 PM »
I have customers that run all kinds of fluid. And I seen no difference in bushing or clutch wear. The fluids range from reg. Type F, to synthtic, to hyrda-stat fluid. I personally run Napa type F. I have never felt the need to spend the money for the higher priced fluid, when I see no wear difference. Some one may have other reasons, such as temp as a reason to run a higher cost fluid. I am interested in hearing everyones choice and why, all info is good.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 03:07:46 PM »
I run cheap Type F for last 25 years in Mopar 727's , Glides, etc   Never an issue with it--
I now use Walmart Type F as Napa has gone nuts with price--I have had a great year running that cheapo stuff and trans pan was clean--trans ran great all year so.....
Fluid type can effect the converter stall/personality more than you would think--like the guys using tractor fluid etc--
All the famous fluids of the past Like B$M Trickshift etc was just Type F

It is my experience that synthetic can withstand very high heat like with transbrake cars before it breaks down--high heat will kill cheap fluid fast--you get one idiot that screws with you staging and you are on the brake a while and Temp SOARS while that button is down
I footbrake so the cheapo Wally world Type F is my choice.
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 03:15:39 PM »
Temp is the main reason i am looking into synthetics in first place.Car is transbrake. Plus would like to avoid cooler fan if possible.Since block is solid and heads are billet i will not be running radiator or fan and avoiding trans cooler fan would help with weight and electrical needs.
Not throwing mopney away is why I am checking on any differances.As Dan said getting info is always good.Ol Alan Starr told me once that if you went thru a day w/o learning something new you waisted a day of your life.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 01:26:39 PM »
Well I have this on two other sites DRR and YB.No reply's on either.No reply on yellow bullet is doing something.I am guessing nobody has seen enough differance to even make a statement.