Author Topic: DSR, Enderle, waterman or Aeromotive pump?  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
DSR, Enderle, waterman or Aeromotive pump?
« on: November 22, 2015, 05:30:55 PM »
I currently have an Enderle 80A-1 pump and going to A) rebuild it or B) Buy a new pump and keep this one as a spare. Note, I also have a very good 80A but it is not the newer -1 so it does not rotate and can not fit in my chassis. May sell it or trade it off for something else.
My questions are:
1.  What is the difference on durability of them?
2. How hard are they to rebuild?
3. How much do they cost to rebuild?

On the surface the DSR pump looks interesting as it appears to be similar to blower type or oil pump and it would seem to me that design would last well. No vanes or anything like to wear and fail just two gears that pump. What ever I do it has to be fairly small and must rotate to clear the chassis. My current pump is 7 GPM but I could run anything from 5.5 to 7.5 prefer to be on larger side to be safe. Thanks in advance.

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: DSR, Enderle, waterman or Aeromotive pump?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 09:29:09 AM »

Hello,

We can put a clamp-on flange on that pump so that it can rotate like you want. We machine off the cast-on flange and turn the right diameter on it for the clamp-on style deal (like the new pumps). We charge $179 for that and that includes the new flange. That includes reclearancing the pump and flow testing it. The guts must be removed to do the modification, so we include all that in the price. If it needs new bearings and a seal that would add as much as $55.

Rebuilding should be left to a pump shop...you could replace the o-ring and the seal yourself, but the bearings are a big deal and the clearance must be set precisely if it's going to live a long life. The pump's flow is directly affected by the end clearance. There's no way to change the bearings without pressing it all apart.

The DSR pumps (made by Enderle) are indeed just like a Chevy oil pump inside. However, the pump body is aluminum and they don't last like you'd think they would unless you keep it flushed out after every race. They do well under high pressure because the shaft that the gears ride on is supported on both ends (unlike the conventional design). But pressure isn't everything. Many of the DWR pumps we see here develop severe "cancer" inside...pitting in the aluminum body that degrades flow. You can buy Waterman pumps that are similar with a steel body, but they are very expensive.

On the conventional pumps, usually the only thing that wears is the lid (replaceable) or the bronze liner. The liner can be replaced, but it's spendy and not worth it most of the time. Because of the bronze, these type of pumps last years and years while being abused pretty hard. The vanes or "fingers" on the internals never fail on a pump that size. Not an issue.

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
Re: DSR, Enderle, waterman or Aeromotive pump?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 03:06:07 PM »
Thank you! That is the kind of information I needed to know. I will probably send my other one to you to have it as a spare.