Drag Racing Discussions > Gassers

1949 Chevy Gasser Build

(1/5) > >>

GlennLever:
Well I have had this Gasser project floating around in the garage since 2011.

My wife and I have finally decided to make some progress on this project.

My son used it as his project when he attended the Hot Rod Institute.

He did quite a bit of chassis work which was impressive. This is the center section that has been dropped down into the original chassis.

as seen here

He also did a great deal of body fabrication to get the rear slicks to fit in the wheel well opening and look like that was the way it came from the factory. This entailed fabrication on the rear door as well.

He got to this point.

Once he returned from the Hot Rod Institute the Gasser sat (4 years) with no further progress.

This evening new progress was made. A gen V Chevy 454 was purchase to liven up the time line of the build of the Gasser.

It is currently sitting in the back of the pickup, and in the morning will be brought into the garage for transformation into a engine to sit in the gasser frame.

ricardo1967:
A+ work, congrats to the whole team!

GlennLever:
We had six people show up which is a good turn out for a normal Cat Nuts Meeting.

My wife had cookies, coffee, and pop out for the guys.

The cookies disappeared.

Frank was drinking his usual cup of coffee, and we had the normal texters.

We got the engine out of the back of the truck and into the garage and on a stand.

We did minor surgery to see the condition of the inside of the engine.

We were very happy with what we found.

The engine is very clean, cam has very little wear (one lobe is worn all the way across).

The plan is to clean it up, paint it, powder coat the valve covers, timing chain cover, and oil pan.

Replace the timing gear set with metal gears.

Put it back together and put it in the gasser.

Instead of replacing the heads with performance heads, I might go the blower route and force the air into the peanut heads.

We have to do the conversion from the remote oil cooler, which I have read up and is not a big thing.

I’m very happy with this purchase.

It came complete top to bottom with carburetor, 427 aftermarket intake, new distributor, starter, etc.

This will go into the Gasser pretty much as a stock engine the first time around, we will see.......

GlennLever:
parts ordered, will try and get the block cleaned up and painted this week for a reassemble this weekend.

Timing Chain is in the works, no cam change.

I will update Car Nuts meeting on Saturday, Wednesday night depending on painting progress.

ARP-535-9501
Engine and Accessory Fasteners, Stainless Steel, 12-Point, Chevy, Big Block, Kit

SLP-260-1635
Gaskets, Full Set, Chevy, 7.4L/454, Set

TAY-73055
Spark Plug Wires, Spiro-Pro, 8mm, Black, Straight Boots, Universal, L8/V8, Set

Paul New:
Cool project Glenn but you say"no cam change" and you also say "one lobe is worn all the way across"
In my opinion especially with a BBC you need to do a cam change!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version