Author Topic: What path to choose ?  (Read 15126 times)

Offline Flint78

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 10.94
  • Your Engine: BBC 572 + 7-81
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: Poland/Europe
Re: What path to choose ?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 03:01:11 PM »
Ahhh good to know. Not sure what the final construction will be - I'm leaning toward Bantam body. Something like this.

Will it be fully covered - no idea. I still need to incorporate some kind of engine radiator into the build since I will be running on 93 octane for a while. I might angle it a bit,  don't want to put a huge block strait for esthetic reasons ( might be forced to - not sure).
What I am sure that I need a lot more downforce than you guys in order to have a decent 60ft.

Our tracks are not prepped, just cleaned. I had huge problems with not spinning the tires in 3400 lbs camaro. With manual Lenco I had to do launches at around 3500-3600 RPM. If I did more I was spinning for like 1/8th like crazy.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 04:54:40 AM »
Flint,
      you can lay the radiator down flat between the frame rails and use a fan to move air through it.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline LZ

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: In progress
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2010 225" S&W
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 05:23:59 AM »
Hi Flint:
Say always cool to see whats going on in other countries. Post some photos when you get a chance.
Was looking at that GAZAS.LT site did not see any coverage of drag racing.

Just for grins, a car that may be of interest to you if you are a FB member...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/633939733326334/

Nice group. Good luck with your project
Luke
"I am not a number.... I am a free man."

Offline Flint78

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »
Drag racing scene in Poland is very small.  We are just starting to see some shy attempts from sponsors.  All of the top 10 cars in Poland are AWD.  Best time in Poland is 7.796 @ 178 MPH, and it is by 1600 HP Vette with GMC Typhoon AWD. We don't have such deep rules as you do. And we have some crazy projects because of that. For example there is a car that has 2 engines - one for each axle.  It's sort of a wild west out here compared to your rules and regulations ;)  But its starting to be more and more professional. Teams are traveling all over Europe to compete. Things are going in a good direction. I would love to see a real pro drag track in Poland, that is prepped as it should be.

If you are interested you can see the top100 of polish teams here - http://www.dragracelist.pl/topofthetops/absolute-top100/

Offline Flint78

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 06:43:05 AM »
But its not like it's totally deserted on dragracing scene. We got some good places quite close

Like http://www.nitrolympx.de/ 

or Santa Pod in GB http://www.santapod.co.uk/

Those are 2 places for serious racing

Offline Flint78

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 12:21:20 PM »
So one way is to buy used rolling. What about chassis builders ? Who you guys can recommend when it comes to altered. Just want to check it all before I commit.  And where can i check some bodykit options for that.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 12:23:53 PM by Flint78 »

Offline LZ

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: In progress
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2010 225" S&W
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2015, 06:13:40 PM »
Flint:
I watch the videos from that Olympics race when they get posted. Seems like quite a show.
Santa Pod and all the other places very cool. Wish people would post more photos and video from over there.
Would be neat to get there someday and see something like that and all the neats sites in Europe.
Doubtful I will ever get time or money for that.

Question. How are the roads per say that if you wanted to drive to something like from your country to Germany? Is there a good freeway system? Seems like Europe has great train service but that does you no good if your towing a car.
How long a drive would it be from your area ?

Just curious.
We have a great 1/4 mile track 45 minutes from my home.  Pretty spoiled. Lots of poor folks have to drive hours to just get a couple squirts in there car.
http://www.empiredragway.com

Thanks
Luke
"I am not a number.... I am a free man."

Offline Flint78

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 11:40:07 PM »
Well from my home to that track in Germany is around 1000 km. 95% of it is freeway so you can go smoothly. But there is a limit of 80 km/h with a trailer so its not as fast as you could without it.  The closes place I have is around 70 miles away, but they don't open it often for dragracing.

dreracecar

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 07:52:09 AM »
So one way is to buy used rolling. What about chassis builders ? Who you guys can recommend when it comes to altered. Just want to check it all before I commit.  And where can i check some bodykit options for that.

"GOOD" used cars go for about 30%/40%of what a new car is to build and a new car takes time to build. Its not the chassis that takes time but all the little things involved. Since this is your first chassis car personaly I would go the used route and make changes to that, and when it does become time to build new, you will have a better understanding of what you need and build it right the second time

Offline Flint78

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 10:06:44 AM »
True true true. So got few questions

I know already that I should only look for stuff that is currently certified. and to look among last 10 years of production ?

How is your cage height and width  vs your arms width, how much space is enough space to get in and move around, but be small enough to provide good secure cage in case of crash. I'm 240lbs and 5.10. I know that i will be wearing thicker racing suit than in my door car. So that adds some inches already.

dreracecar

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 11:18:42 AM »
Most funny car altered chassis are built on 24" centers (center of tube across to the other tube in the cage area) dragsters are built at 21". Years ago dragsters were built on 19" centers.

Many cars are built large now a days and have flame retardent liners to fit the drivers. Foam kits run between $350 to $700 and they really make the car more comfortable because of complete support, and that really makes a difference in a crash. The worst thing is to have a cage that is too tight, If you have to have someone snap your helmeted head into the cage---thats too tight.

The cert means that up to the date it was stickerd, tubing size and placement is correct. There has not been too many changes in specs for a lot of years now and any changes have been minor enough so they can just be called UPDATES and not obsolete the chassis. It is still to your bennifit to find somthing that has a current cert or something just out of cert because the certs are only good for 3 years.

Offline Flint78

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 12:23:18 PM »
looked over all altered on racingjunk. Waiting for info on few, but other that 2 there is nothing for me right now :( they are either to expensive, to small for 240 lbs, no 4 link, not certed or just very old.  Any other places I can look for used altered ? Not that I'm in any hurry tho.

dreracecar

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 12:49:44 PM »
Dont need a 4-link unless the driver is offset, center steer altereds work just fine solid

might have a couple this way, I will check

dreracecar

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 12:58:39 PM »
pm me your e-mail address,   putting pics on this site is a pain