Author Topic: Need to buy a new Powerglide what options do I want for a FED  (Read 6826 times)

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
Need to buy a new Powerglide what options do I want for a FED
« on: October 28, 2015, 07:20:04 AM »
Finally cracked my stock case Powerglide at the CHRR so I am going to upgrade to an aftermarket case and whatever other goodies.
So what options should I go for?  What gear ration?  Roller tailshaft?
I run NE1 and have a 4:10 gear.

thanks
Scott

dreracecar

Re: Need to buy a new Powerglide what options do I want for a FED
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 08:06:33 AM »
roller tail shaft is a gimmick for a solid drive shaft dragster.   Turbo spline input, 9310 planetarys, high tuff output shaft , aluminum drum with as many clutchs one can fit

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 08:41:19 AM »
overkill on the input shaft.For the few bucks differance in them why not go with strongest you can get.Now if going to ringless you have to match it to stator tube.I have aluminum carrier in mine but its because i fell into deal,plus its coan maximum duty planetary setup.I went with roller bearings all around to reduce friction.its not a big gain but it helps.High/low valvebody would be nice if can afford the little extra.Yu don't have to use the high gear leave but its always a option. Dbl ring servo is a given.

On aluminum drum.i have not run one and still possablity but have gotten mixed views on them,like most things.If buying new drum i agree as many clutches as you can.

You building or buying finished piece?
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 06:59:04 PM »
For your Application I would go with a After market case, 300M input shaft, sonnax high drum kit, carbon band, Dual ring servo, (I prefer the TSI style with the lip seal on the apply side), !.80 planetary. A roller bearing extension housing is not a necessity, but I run them on both my cars. The aluminum drum is a big expense and has a short life span, if your really wanting to lose the 4ish lbs of weight, the Coan hybrid drum is the best to use as it is almost as light as an aluminum drum, but with it's steel band area it's durable.

Dan 

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 04:13:21 AM »
I would stay away from the JW case--go Reid, Dedenbear, TSI etc   JW has had plenty of issues --maybe resolved but ...
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 06:24:06 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys, always learning on this site.
Scott

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 06:52:27 AM »
One of our racers has had issues with JW case. TSI fixed the problems. I run a Reid case .

Offline Banjo40

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Terre Haute
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 10:13:20 AM »
Is there an advantage in running a shorty glide with a longer drive shaft over a long tail house glide with a shorter drive shaft on an FED with the engine set far out?

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 05:45:52 AM »
I have both a TSI and a Reid one piece case in our cars. I am not a fan of bolting the bell housing on with the pump bolts. With that said I have several customers with JW stuff and have no problems.

As far as the length question , I would think the shorter your driveshaft the better, however there could be some effects on the chassis that could come into play. This question may be better answered in Roo Man's fourm.

Offline ricci32

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: sbc ,gas, 358cid
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley
  • Your Vehicle: Vintage style FED
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 05:55:57 AM »
I have talked to a few guys with the short glide and driveshaft Parks uses that setup because it is lighter.

dreracecar

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 10:58:41 AM »
I prefer the long glide because I am cheap and dont have to buy extra couplers and shafts and build a long driveshaft covering, a simple cover on the rear end and a male coupler on the trans and I am done. But this only works for engines out 39" to 42".
Running a shorty and a drive shaft will allow more mis-alignmed between the rear and the trans (if the case)because of the slop in all the componants. And because of all that, the slop has to be taken up at the hit before the car moves.
Someone needs to make the drive shaft dia match the shaft dia that comes out the glide. there is no need for the shafts to be any larger than that on the dragsters we run. 20 years of running a long glide (as mention above) and never broke a shaft