Author Topic: Winter projects  (Read 11761 times)

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Winter projects
« on: October 10, 2015, 08:43:13 PM »
I'm thinking of removing the cooling system, making it external at the pit (radiator / fan / quick disconnect hoses to the block)

Because of less power usage, retiring the yellow top battery for something smaller and lighter.

Steve and I did a quick install of a two way radio between the crew chief (My Better Half) and myself so I have guidance for backing up after the burn out (I have always done that blind as we are usually a two person operation).

We never got to try it because on the way to the finial race of the season the Motor Home broke down and we did not get there (we are actually leaving Monday to go pick it up,  it has finally been declared "Fixed" ( I can only hope it is))

So...I would like to go back and do a finish installation (currently there are a lot of wire ties)

What are your plans?
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline LZ

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: In progress
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2010 225" S&W
Re: Winter projects
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 11:58:19 AM »
Glenn:
The guy I bought my car off of had his cool down tank in the trailer . He had it built by somebody in Florida  it was filthy cheap and it was very nice. He had it built a certain way to fit his trailer .
I will contact him and get the info for you. Its been several years but maybe there still around.
My new block is in , headers and dry sump tank. Off to a good start.  Going to update my build thread soon when I can get some photos.
c ya
LZ
"I am not a number.... I am a free man."

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 12:16:31 PM »
Glenn:
The guy I bought my car off of had his cool down tank in the trailer . He had it built by somebody in Florida  it was filthy cheap and it was very nice. He had it built a certain way to fit his trailer .
I will contact him and get the info for you. Its been several years but maybe there still around.
My new block is in , headers and dry sump tank. Off to a good start.  Going to update my build thread soon when I can get some photos.
c ya
LZ

I am actually coping the setup that Ross uses on his FED. He purchased the setup off of fee-bay, maybe it is the same setup. I would be very interested in the contact information
Glenn R. Lever

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 12:57:16 PM »
It was always the driver and myself for most of our years and with the dragster it was me out in front lineing him up , no real need for someone in back waving their arms. "I" walked the track after the cars burnout and "I" decided where to put the car. The burn out tracks are a different color and easy to spot and from my vantage point could move him over a half an inch if "I" wanted to without haveing to relay the message or deal with somebody doing jumpin jacks behind the line. Radios are just another expense I can do without and I am not trying to impress anybody

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 04:10:21 PM »
It was always the driver and myself for most of our years and with the dragster it was me out in front lineing him up , no real need for someone in back waving their arms. "I" walked the track after the cars burnout and "I" decided where to put the car. The burn out tracks are a different color and easy to spot and from my vantage point could move him over a half an inch if "I" wanted to without haveing to relay the message or deal with somebody doing jumpin jacks behind the line. Radios are just another expense I can do without and I am not trying to impress anybody

Age is a factor, to ask my wife to run out in front to direct me back is not practical.

The running days are over for both of us.

In my opinion it is easier to see the change in color of the surface from the rear, not that it cannot be done from the front
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 04:13:40 PM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 08:30:12 PM »
Would it be possible to gain a 1/2 second through weight reduction?
Glenn R. Lever

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 04:34:08 AM »
Theoretically 500lbs is a1/2 second

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 07:38:29 AM »
Would it be possible to gain a 1/2 second through weight reduction?

Yes you could but you would have to start with a 2500# car

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 12:11:25 PM »
Glen I don't think you could pick up .5 but you will see some gains by reducing the weight of the car . If you tow your car to the lanes and back to the pits there is really no need for a radiator . A way to circulate your water back in the pits is an good idea . Any rotating weight you can get rid of will also help like a lightened ring gear and an alluminum spool . Just tell Anne you want that alluminum block for Christmas!!!

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 08:57:24 PM »
Just spent 3500 to repair the motor home, another 5ooo on a block and the build is out of the question
Glenn R. Lever

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 10:50:10 AM »
"Just spent 3500 to repair the motor home..."

That's a big bummer Glenn... you have a nice RV. Engine troubles? (it's an ISB if I remember right)

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 01:28:38 PM »

That's a big bummer Glenn... you have a nice RV. Engine troubles? (it's an ISB if I remember right)

It is a 6CTA, Ref # 53-34874-004 engine # 45358278, model C8.3-325, read that as 325 HP full mechanical (no computer injection).

This engine was  $5,000 upgrade from the stock 300 HP engine that came in the coach and is used in fire trucks and marine applications.

Problem was the hydraulic pump for the Power Steering, jacks and coolant fan(uses a hydraulic motor to drive side discharge fan)
Glenn R. Lever

Offline Mr Froggy

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 12.23 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Thunder Valley
  • Your Vehicle: 68 Dodge Coronet 500
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 05:46:41 PM »

It is a 6CTA, Ref # 53-34874-004 engine # 45358278, model C8.3-325, read that as 325 HP full mechanical (no computer injection).

This engine was  $5,000 upgrade from the stock 300 HP engine that came in the coach and is used in fire trucks and marine applications.

Problem was the hydraulic pump for the Power Steering, jacks and coolant fan(uses a hydraulic motor to drive side discharge fan)

Thats too bad Glenn!   Theres a few 6CTAs powering Generators in my territory and they seem to be a good engine.  But in a standby application they don't get alot of hours.

If you get a bad one we call a Cummins a Cum-a-part and a Caterpiller a Scatterpillar :D  Like anything, there all subject to fail at the most inoppertune time.  Good Luck!

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 05:06:23 AM »

Yikes Glenn, that's an expensive upgrade ($200/hp)! Glad wasn't engine problem though.

Your engine was born in Rocky Mt, NC on 20/May/1996. 325 hp @ 2200 RPM ; 915 lb-ft @ 1300 RPM ; Bosch P7100 RQVK pump ; Holset HX40W turbo

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 07:22:05 AM »

Yikes Glenn, that's an expensive upgrade ($200/hp)! Glad wasn't engine problem though.

Your engine was born in Rocky Mt, NC on 20/May/1996. 325 hp @ 2200 RPM ; 915 lb-ft @ 1300 RPM ; Bosch P7100 RQVK pump ; Holset HX40W turbo

Had a real scare on the fuel injection pump. I thought it was leaking.

it is a RQV350

The price on a new pump was $8,450. When I received that news I went back and very carefully followed the leak and it turned out that the engine compartment insulation was saturated with fuel oil from a previous leaf from an injector tube that did not get tighten on another repair.

I have replaced the insulation and had no problems since.

Link to that project
Glenn R. Lever