Author Topic: Solid SBC Heads  (Read 4114 times)

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
Solid SBC Heads
« on: October 07, 2015, 05:39:35 PM »
I recently purchased a set of used Brodix -12 Solid heads. Frankenstein Cylinder Head Works has done a ton of port work on these heads They flow  over 40 CFM more than my old - 12 water heads. I was running a gravity / static non circulating water system on the old heads. I'm new to running a solid dry head. I was thinking of plumbing a water line between the center exhaust ports. Is it necessary?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:46:31 PM by digster »

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
Re: Solid SBC Heads
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:31:52 AM »
I don't know that you need it. But if you decide you do, I would think you would want to tap the back of the block and let water out that way also.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 06:34:01 AM »
I'm curious ? Solid heads have passages for coolant?

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 08:36:55 AM »
If one has water jacket heads then one must circulate water, Solid heads might last a little longer because of mass but the heat in that area is still wearing away at the heat treat and anealing it.
 If I were to do it again, I would order raw water castings and weld/plug all the water holes and then heat treat and machine the head. Best of both worlds

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 04:55:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.
George. The heads have no coolant passages. I was wondering if it might be advantageous to continue to run water in the little M block. Drill up from an existing water passage into the head between the center exhaust ports. Below the header flange another hole would be drilled to meet the first hole on about a 90 degree angle. I could then circulate the water threw the block and heads with a small electric pump. Over all head cooling would be minimal but it may ward off potential problems in the hottest head area. Just a line of thought to run by you guys.