Author Topic: buick 350 magneto  (Read 4746 times)

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
buick 350 magneto
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:48:11 PM »
i was running mallory dual points(prefer the old world), but sonny made go to mallory electronic. eventually i want to you a magneto. teach me sir.
thanks
john

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: buick 350 magneto
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 06:49:53 PM »

If you're thinking about going to a magneto (shouldn't everyone?)  ;D  some things to keep in mind...

If you're going to drive the vehicle more than 10-15 minutes at a time, you'll need to stay with a lower powered unit. A Vertex internal coil (OAC) or a Sprintmag would work great.

If you're race-only and you want more fire power, then consider an external coil Vertex (OXC) or Super-Mag. A Pro-mag 12 might do fine too (MSD has obsoleted the Pro-Mag 12, but there are lots out there used).

One problem you're going to have is finding a lower drive for the mag to mate with that motor. You'll probably never find one for sale used, so you'll just need to find an 8-cylinder mag and go from there. Since your motor is clockwise rotation, you'll have plenty of options without even worrying about changing it.

I believe we could fix you up with a Buick 350 lower for a Vertex. A band-clamp style lower drive for that would be hard to come by. I don't have any in stock but we may be able to make something for you. When you're ready, send your distributor in and we can measure it up and duplicate it in a new mag drive.

If you're on the street, you'll probably want some advance built in. Race-only, probably locked out.

If you're running a tach, shift-light or other blinky goodies, you'll need a suppression core plug wire that does not exceed 50 ohms per foot. Doing that can be hard with a Vertex because there are only a couple of options that will fit in the old style cap. Taylor Thundervolt 50 is one that comes to mind. The inner jacket is 7mm and you'll need to strip the outer jacket back so that it can enter the cap holes. Moroso Ultra 40 is another one that works well. They're 8mm and fit snug.

Those are the basic things that come to mind at the moment.

Happy magging!

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions