Author Topic: sbc HP per cubic inch  (Read 12014 times)

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
Re: sbc HP per cubic inch
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 01:47:26 PM »
Interesting. Thanks Magnus!

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: sbc HP per cubic inch
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 05:34:27 PM »
I have dynoed a lot of engines--in some odd rule restricted two barrel circle trackers or some such you can see a advantage with certain rod lengths--but 98% of the rest I think all the hype about rod ratio is just talk--I like  a 6 inch rod in a SBC because the piston is lighter than a 5.7 rod deal but not a hocky puck that won't seal the rings --just like Maskin said--so..IMO there is the advantage that matters most--
a lighter piston that still has some skirt is the deal and is an advantage but I think otherwise the rod just holds the piston on the crank--this is based on hundreds of builds in all kinds of engines.
Like I said to start--Most folks Cram every bit of stroke and bore they can into a given block--
I spent Sat milling a plain old 350 block with a 3.48 stroke just so I could use a new set of aluminum rods I got for near free---Free they are not --after spending all day getting it to clear!
All that being said the now common 434 in an aftermarket block is easier than ever to get done and they do make great engines! I think it is the go to combo for a big CI small block
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development