Author Topic: twin engine dragster questions  (Read 8050 times)

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
twin engine dragster questions
« on: February 08, 2013, 03:45:38 PM »
mine is a 192" and my plan down the road is to build a twin inline fed. pics of the rail are on my posting buickfed. from looking at those pics, do you think i can put 2 in it? also, the coupler for 2 engines, how many different styles are there?
thanks
john

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
Re: twin engine dragster questions
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:55:38 PM »
When you say inline, is that two straight 8s?  I started a twin engine flathead powered red 2 years ago.  I don't know how many different twin engine couplers styles are out there......  probably alot.  If you like I can take pictures of mine for show and tell.  I'd say there is plenty of length for the two engines in your chassis.  You might pull a string line from the rearend coupler to the proposed front-front engine crank snout location.  If the engines not level in the chassis and sitting at a downward angle, you might have ground clearance concern unless you slightly rotate rear-end.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 04:12:23 AM »
John,
        I just went back and looked again at the pic's of your car and it does not look like you have enough tubing out in front of your current single motor deal to add another motor. The length is not a major problem (especially if you want an exciting ride) but a double should really be engineered for the weight of the second engine being so far out. I will have one going up on my jig soon so I will post photos as it progresses.
 Most of the early doubles used a pair of sprockets and a double row chain to link the motors although there are probably a lot of industrial couplers that would do the job too.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline bud

• Thanks for the Memories
    • View Profile
    • Buds-Motorsports
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile =7.32
  • Your Engine: SBC
  • Your Track: Closed now MAR. KCIR.
  • Your Vehicle: FED,RMD..
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 09:36:40 AM »
Roo is Right you need just a little bit of flex on the hookup I call it forgiveness. I have yet to see 2 motors work intirely as one. A guy I was Buddys with
( Lefty Muterbauch) ran 2 sbc in line and we built a coupler and tried to ridged mount it from the snout of the rear motor and clutch/flywheel of the front motor with a clutch can before there was such a thing. so we talk to chet (Chet Herbert) and change our whole design, This we did back in 1961..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:24:00 AM by bud »
Bud

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 03:42:19 PM »
denver,
buick str 8's; i have a lead on a pair. ready for somebody to put them in something. tons of stuff goes with them.  t

roo,
the buick 350's are lighter than the sbc, but longer. there is a guy in danbury ct that runs 2 409's. got to get down there to see it someday.

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »
I have all the respect for the twin-V8 FED's (Freight trains and alike…), but, IMHO, the coolest twin-engine FED ever is a twin-inline-six, like Mike Kirby's “Sixsession” (partnered with Kay Sissel), chassis by Roy Fjastad/SPE. If you ever had the privilege to hear that engine duet singing, you'd never forget it. He does 7.80 at 200 MPH…

http://www.flickr.com/photos/b_a_r/2465043157/

Sound quality (and race results) on this video don't make justice:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:31:42 AM by ricardo1967 »