Author Topic: Newbie from Norway.  (Read 23869 times)

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
Re: Newbie from Norway.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 07:04:20 PM »
Sidewinder......  Your crew chief is "Cool" and smartypants (that's good thing here).  You must trust him alot to go back to fh.  I'm guessing your crew chief is part teacher to you?  His lesson is if you can make a fh run fast, you can then make anything go fast.  Basics provide good foundation.

Another story for you.  After two years running, I thought I would upgrade the intake valves from stock heavy 1.50" with the split guides and go to newer modern 1.72" ss valves.  Yep, slowed me down again 1/10 to 2/10 this time.  Figuring out why was fun.   Share with your crew chief, he'll know why it went slower : )   DF       

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Kjula Raceway
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 11:57:36 PM »
DF, The crewcheif is really a teacher, full time:) No kidding;) And abit older than me, so I tend ti listen to him:)
When it comes to the tires, first edition was with early aluminum Anerican Racing 5-spoke with a set of Hurst recaps,
really, really heavy stuff. Since I also have focus on stands, like it to periode accurate, I put on the AR 5-spoke magnesium rims with a pair of M&H real slicks. They are way lighter than the old ones, and looks cool too:)?
I have tried to hide all the modern stuff, like the rev limiter and magneto signal converter. Last year i bought a NOS
sun blue-line tach to match Sun blu-line oil and water temp guages:)

Oh. When it comes to the valves, I chose 1.6" intake and 1.58" exhaust. According to the Bonneville guys, they run with really big valves!? I have not max ported my block because I wanted to keep moore material in it as we run with more than 20 psi of pressure;)!

Sidewinder

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 07:00:02 AM »
Sidewinder - the more hp/torque you have, the less the tire/wheel weight maybe a factor.  For our situation, it's a big deal.  20 psi..... probably good thing you haven't relieved the transfer area too much.  I will have to take a picture of a block that had much relieving done to transfer area and post for you.  Plenty of cracks there, not from boost, that motor ran with high percent of fuel (ran it even with the cracks).  DF

p.s.  Crew chief is a teacher, very nice.  My sister was "exceptional" elementary school teacher.     

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 07:48:49 AM »
DF, you should have seen the colour on the tranfer area surface after running it way too lean;)
Lets say that it matches the coulour on the body;) But no cracks, I think the french is abit better in the casting:)
Good to know that my son is a NDT controller;)

Sidewinder

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 12:45:34 PM »
Were all 8 cylinders showing lean......  or did it vary per cylinder?  Air flow in fh are finicky.  Lucky you,  no cracks with that extra heat.  French fh does have it good points.  Optimum to start with as new a block as possible.  Here's picture of serious relief in transfer area, probably around 0.125 or little
bit more.  Picture not too clear, but focus on intake side and look for dark line going to head bolt hole. 

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 12:53:38 PM »
forgot the picture.   I'm not familiar with the acrynom NDT......?  DF

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 01:29:49 PM »
That does not look good. I will check everything soon:) Next on the to-do list is to order some stuff for the injection unit, and 48 new head-studs to match the new set of Baron High Flow heads:)

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
That does not look good. I will check everything soon:) Next on the to-do list is to order some stuff for the injection unit, and 48 new head-studs to match the new set of Baron High Flow heads:)

New parts are always nice!
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 08:44:59 PM »
Baron Racing Heads………  I see : )   Sidewinder, did you ever see that Hollywood movie Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where he and his dad are looking for the Holy Grail?  Towards the end of the movie, there’s a whole bunch of cups (Holy Grail) on the table and they have to choose the right one?  The evil guy picks first and drinks out of the cup, he promptly turns to dust.  The comment is made “he picked poorly.”  Indiana selects next and takes a drink.  The knight says to him “you picked well.”   There's a whole lotta heads out there to choose from.... 

Flatfire, a streamliner ran modified Baron heads rather successfully.  Click on third picture to see flatfire engine.      http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hdrp_0511_ford_flathead_engine/photo_22.html

For my twin engine car, I’m going to run Edelbrock 9.5 heads.  I read a Rod Journal article on Vic Edelbrock about 6 years ago.  I like what I read, so I support his company.  DF     

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 01:47:11 AM »
I read that article years ago, and I really like the looks of the Baron head + it's a go-fast product as well:)
After last years season i contacted a guy that I knew had the Barons in stock. As we had some leaks with the offy heads after gearing for moore boost, I think the Barons will drop the CR abit, but flow some more. As we all know,
flow is all about more power on a Flathead!:)

Kjell

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 06:32:07 AM »
Yes, I easily see why your head gasket went south with the offy heads.  I think they have a combustion chamber volume between 55-60cc.  Your new Barons are a lot more, probably closer to 90cc?  With 255 stock cubic inches, the offy heads probably rated around 9.1 cr.  Adding 10-20lbs boost, OUCH.  Your new Barons will drop your c.r. quite a bit…… I’m guessing somewhere between 6.5 – 7.0, depending on your relieving and how many more cubic inches you add…….  You’re going at it smart : )

For my twin engines, the short blocks are nearly identical built 296ci.  Though they’re still not together……..    still trying to figure out some odds and ends (I am slowpoke).  I’m using parts I’ve accumulated over the past 14 years when I first got interested in fh engines.  Finally have time to do something with these neat old parts…..   digging through my boxes, I keep on finding stuff and say, where’d that come from?  DF   

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »
The Offy heads was not stock though, I had reworked them abit,making them moore towards the Edelbrock profile. I think the Barons will flow better, and seal better with Cometic head gaskets. I think the cheif has started on the new intake today:)!

DF, do you have any pictures of your stuff? The Flathead stuff are poison, can't get it out of my body;)!

Kjell

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 01:18:29 PM »
Not stock, yes right.....  I think everybody has modified their fh parts to their liking, part of the learning curve.  I'm thinking with forced induction the Baron heads should perform better.  I see why you needed the Baron heads before you built a new blower intake, that Baron water manifold on top the heads could create clearance issue.  Are you putting in port nozzles and a "burst panel" on your new intake?

For my pictures, I have about a dozen posted on this site already.  Look for pictures in these "thread name"
Your Build/Photo Gallery section  - "My intro"   and   "We're all proud of our shops..."
Roo-Man's Room section -  "FED short body build?"
Matt's Engine Shop section  - "Coupling 2 engines"
and here in FrontEngineDragsters section  -  "Starter for a blower"

In order to view the pictures that I posted on this forum, you have to be signed on, otherwise only the comments show up, no pictures.  When you see the pictures I posted, just double-click on them to make them full-screen size : )  After looking at the pictures I posted, let me know and I can take more pictures and email them to you.  DF

p.s. I know lots of guys that got bit by fh bug : )

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 02:05:20 PM »
Not stock, yes right.....  I think everybody has modified their fh parts to their liking, part of the learning curve.  I'm thinking with forced induction the Baron heads should perform better.  I see why you needed the Baron heads before you built a new blower intake, that Baron water manifold on top the heads could create clearance issue.  Are you putting in port nozzles and a "burst panel" on your new intake?

For my pictures, I have about a dozen posted on this site already.  Look for pictures in these "thread name"
Your Build/Photo Gallery section  - "My intro"   and   "We're all proud of our shops..."
Roo-Man's Room section -  "FED short body build?"
Matt's Engine Shop section  - "Coupling 2 engines"
and here in FrontEngineDragsters section  -  "Starter for a blower"

In order to view the pictures that I posted on this forum, you have to be signed on, otherwise only the comments show up, no pictures.  When you see the pictures I posted, just double-click on them to make them full-screen size : )  After looking at the pictures I posted, let me know and I can take more pictures and email them to you.  DF

p.s. I know lots of guys that got bit by fh bug : )
As there is so much interest why not post all the pictures in one spot under a build thread in Your Builds / Photo Gallery ?
If you are having problems posting pictures start the thread with some comments, and send the pictures to me and I will downsize and post them for you.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 06:32:27 PM »
Thanks Glenn.  Wonderful suggestion. 

Sidewinder – Lead the way and start a thread in the Your Builds/Photo section with a title like “Kellison Flathead, the road to the record”  : )   
See you over there, with pictures.  DF