Author Topic: Post Run Shut Down Process  (Read 7961 times)

Offline jspell

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.48 / 178
  • Your Track: Maple Grove Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 2014 Ken Keir Dragster
Post Run Shut Down Process
« on: September 06, 2015, 09:18:17 AM »
Do most people "click engine off" then "neutral" the transmission after the finish line?  Your thoughts?

dreracecar

Re: Post Run Shut Down Process
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »
Depends on if you drive it back to your pit or not?
 But in any case always shut the engine off by pulling the fuel shutoff first

Offline jspell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 11:38:03 AM »
Thanks Bruce...I'm a gas carb guy. My reason for asking is it a good practice to save the motor from potential oil starvation.

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 03:37:15 PM »
If the first thing is to put the trans into "N", the risk of still being on the throttle when you do that is greater and one has to figure car speed also. My situation was/is different because I had a hand brake instead of a foot brake so the right hand was really busy.
 There is enough oil remaining in the galleys and dripping from being slung around that for a few seconds without gauge pressure (and no load)is really not that big of a deal. Milodon pans are notorious for slosh problems, but never had a bearing issue because of it

Offline jspell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 04:47:51 PM »
Thanks for feedback

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 06:14:15 AM »
I have Milodon 31145 and it has two trap doors etc but is pitiful at oil control--1/8th mile --never an issue--1/4 mile it drops oil pressure big time at shutdown. I fear messing with the shifter at that speed so have learned to minimize drop while braking.
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 04:10:05 PM »
I have Milodon 31145 and it has two trap doors etc but is pitiful at oil control--1/8th mile --never an issue--1/4 mile it drops oil pressure big time at shutdown. I fear messing with the shifter at that speed so have learned to minimize drop while braking.

I ran the very same oil pan up until this year when I went to a dry sump. Yes the oil pressure on the shut down was ugly I learned to never look at the oil pressure gauge after the pass! I let my bearings be my judge and we never had any bearing issues from lack of oil running 6.60's-6.80's for years the only time we had a bearing problem was when we broke a cast iron pump from tire shake😁 thankfully we only had a partial pass and only required bearing swap and clean everything up. Other than that possibly install an accusump or buy a high dollar pan

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 11:48:13 AM »
Hey John I agree with Bruce on throwing it in neutral at the stripe . I put mine in neutral after I pull the chute and the car has settled down a little . The problem with a small block loosing oil pressure isn't so much the pan as lack of oil in it . Most of your oil is still in the top of the motor and can't get back to the pan fast enough . I you run a Jessell belt drive it makes it even worse . An easy way to fix it is an oil accumulator . It's kind of a band aid but it will take the worry factor away ! Bill 

Offline jspell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 12:22:31 PM »
Thanks Bill...yes on Jesel Belt Drive...I have return hoses from the heads back to pan to help.  Might consider the Accu-Sump.   

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 02:16:19 PM »
Never agreed with the neutral at line ida.Lots say they do it to save motor,especailly with aluminum rods.I drive into the chutes and then let car settle. Then if want throw it in neutral.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 06:37:29 AM »
Shifting into neutral is personal preference. Both Nick and I leave the trans in gear till the is all but slowed down. We both like the feel of the engine helping to slow the car, as far as OP it does drop, but we run good oil and have never had a bearing issue.