Author Topic: Killer Tire shake Need Help.  (Read 17708 times)

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
Re: Killer Tire shake Need Help.
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 11:24:06 PM »
I agree with Bruce, those tires are too big for your combo/ HP, and not enough launch RPM to get "up" on the tires.
I don't know the compound of your tires, but the size is the size Pro Stock run, and they are shifting twice as much as you, so the compound is likely to be softer that what you should be running. Pro Stock launches, hooks, shifts, hooks, shifts, hooks, shifts. With a PowerGlide you to need to keep the tire speed up so the slicks don't pull the motor down below your power range.
i just called Dennis Murphy that races a blown alky 426 style Hemi, with a PG in NHRA Heritage A/FD, he is the only guy I know that runs a PG, all the rest of the A/FD run Lenco, with either a clutch, CrowerGlide, or converter. Dennis uses a 9" converter, 33x14.5x15 GoodYears with 4.56 rear gear and a 1.58 1'st gear, running about 1700 hp and 6.40's at 220 mph. The other fast teams use N/TF 12" wide 16" M&H tires with good non-shake most of the time runs. Like Bates/ Adams injected nitro early Hemi runs 6. teens and their best MPH is 230mph acouple of weeks ago in Sonoma Ca. One of the other fast A/FD's is Bill Wayne running a blown alky Alan Johnson Chevy, also running the N/TF 33x12x16 tires, but with a converter. The exception is Davenport, the 2014 Champion, racing his 369 ci Late Hemi, and 33x15x15 tires. You see the Heritage rules have a fuel pump limit, and Davenport is very smart building a small motor to better match the fuel pump. 
What you might try now is lower the tire pressure to 5 or 5 1/2 to reduce the bite, but I don't think that's your long term combo. You can also try some of the smaller 12" M&H, they make a couple of the 12" NTF tires, that way you don't have to buy new 15" rims, which will give you allot more options. But you may need to contact your wheel guys to see if they can narrow you wheels to what the tire guys say will work with your combo.
Did you break your wheelie bar because of tire shake or because the front end came up fast and hard there-by unloading your slicks, if so put at least another 40 lbs on your front end. I have often suggested to other racers to add some front weight and they do run quicker.
In our Heritage JrFueler we had bad tire shake a few years ago, and broke our rear motorplate, steering, fire bottle mount, and a winshield. We have fixed most of the shake by adding more tubing in the chassis between the rear motor plate and the rear end because we think the chassis was moving too much with the added power and traction.
Good Luck with your project.

Jon Hansen, Hayden Wheels, JrFuel Dragster Association, and Hammer-Hansen-Hook-Ramay JrFuel
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

dreracecar

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 08:19:04 AM »
Dennis Murphy is also gets into a lot of shake, Its hard to help when one did not build the car and all you can do is repairs.

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 12:41:26 PM »
My friend runs 14x32x15 hoosiers on his fed and it will not make a pass without tire shake above 6psi. 5.5psi is the limit. So that said I would not recommend to up the air pressure as for it will get worse with higher pressure. And by worse I mean break every weak link/part on the car. He is going to change slicks due to the shake problem. It has been a struggle for us and the hoosiers... without mistakes we never learn.
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 01:21:58 PM »
What kind of FED is your buddy running the 14x32x15 Hoosiers on ?  I think if he is making less than 1200 HP, that tire might be too big, it's hooking up too good and then shakes. Pro Stock run 33x14.5x15, and shift 3 times ??, and run 6.50's at 212-213 mph.
I also wonder is that tire is designed for a race car that shifts more than a PG.  When Goodyear 1'st let me know that they were going to put a number of tires on an "inactive" list, and with no production schedule. So I called all slick manufactures looking for the JrFuel sizes, 31x12x15, lucky for us racers I talked Goodyear into making another batch of the light weight [ 22.6 lb] 31x12x15 tires as long as I gave them a solid order for 150 tires. In my search, Hoosier told my not to run their 32x12x15, because it has a much softer compound and designed for cars that shift more than twice [PG] so they would hook, shift, hook, shift, etc, but a FED with a PG needs to get and keep the tires spinning some so they don't pull the motor down below it's HP range.

Cheers,
Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 07:05:41 AM »
Yes his dragster is less than 1200 hp. It is a mild steel 185" chassis with a 565 bbc. Leaves at 6200 rpm on the brake, 5800 on the chip. And yes he is looking into different slicks for his fed. Maybe Scott will chime in...Love this site for all the great info. Thanks everyone!
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 07:45:53 AM »
John, This is Scott with the big ass hoosiers.  What size rim do you guys recommend with the 12" slicks?  Also, do you still have some left? 

We have narrower our tire shake down to tire pressure and anything over 6.5 lbs (except at Bakersfield) will shake hard.

Our last time out the car shook 3 times, off the line and then had to hit again twice before it settled down.  The shake was so violent it broke
wheelie bar
front axle got bent
broke float bowl
cracked a valve cover
broke crank mandrel
broke ignition box
just in one pass, not to mention when the floats broke it flooded the motor with alcohol and blew out both head gaskets.

Wish I had this info when I was buying slicks last year.

dreracecar

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 08:06:57 AM »
i prefer a rim thats 2in narrower then the tread width, because it stands up square on the burnout and gets even temps across the surface. To run a matching rim to the tread the tire crowns and the center gets hotter and the edges dont get any heat.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 01:46:33 PM »
Scott if you can get a set of the Good years from Jon they would be your best choice for your car . If you can't get a set Hoosier makes a 12x33 co9 tire 18350 part number . I have run them before and it is a pretty decent tire . Like I said the Good year would be my first choice .

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 03:53:28 PM »
Two questions if I may:

1) When troubleshooting tire shake, is it valid to skip burnout and see how it goes?

2) Generically speaking, what's the lowest acceptable horsepower to successfully run the Goodyear 31x12x15 tires? (alky FED, PG, ...)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 05:43:53 PM »
Most  any time I have had  shake problem more power was  key to curing it. IMO the 2500 leave on OP is biggest issue.Shake is basically tire not knowing if it wants to spin or hook.let it spin a little and your brain and car parts will think you.Now by spin I mean a little  and there is good margin between little spin and spinning to point of loosing ET.At 2500 I'm pretty sure you are way below powerband , heck thats street car powerband and with smaller tire and way low HP.

While I agree tires maybe bigger than norm.I am not sure that changing is  only way around problem. tire compound and power at hit would seem to the way around it.I know the  hoosiers I have on mine are way soft and will not be hitting track on car.I going with harder compound M/T's for first run's  and working from there.Power wise I should be around 1100 and running 6600 stall.Wish I could say that it works but have no idea yet. first fire up is in week or two .Doing assembly and wiring now.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline secondwindracing

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.40's
  • Your Track: tulsa/mo-kan
  • Your Vehicle: dagster
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 01:12:57 PM »
NEEDS MORE WHEEL SPEED..dAVE

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2016, 09:21:28 PM »
Sorry Ricardo, I missed the post, I think 600 hp may be the low end. I know Bob McKray/ Don Enrquez running an all iron non-raised runner 23° SBC is running a 750 hp. And they ran a 7.16 at the 2016 March Meet.
Part of the problem is not allot of choices of tires, the 10.5 tires are made for door cars, stiff sidewalls, or 29x11x15, or 29x12x15 Goodyear, which of course lowers your clearance and total gear. For many years Enriquez ran a 30x12x15, but it's no longer made and Bob McKray is making more power.
I have found if I need more tire speed, ie less grip, I lower the tires pressure, like as low as 5 lbs. Lower if you run bead-locks.

I hope this helps,
Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 06:20:00 AM »
I keep seeing lower pressure for less grip. I always thought slicks were opposite passenger tires and would lay down without cupping to create more grip at lower pressure.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2016, 11:01:55 AM »
It's easy to prove, if you have an infared temp gun. With lower tire pressure you will get higher temps on the edge of the tires. When you take a shot after a run, just shoot the temps across the width of the tire. I always take a reading of tire temps after a run so I know how much it's spining. The reason why you get more tire speed is it concaves in the center. Now keep in mind if you want more bite, raise the pressure. Granted my advantures are with mostly 12" tires, but I think it's the same with wider slicks.

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels