Author Topic: Air Bleeds...  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Totally T

• View Profile
    • NDRL
Air Bleeds...
« on: August 04, 2015, 05:56:59 AM »
How important is proper air bleed flow on a Kinsler nozzle? Nozzle is a AS78-S510.

On the engine that I bought, it has a Engler injection using the above nozzle (which is really big). When the engine was built, the nozzle bosses were never drilled (as that is Tims method) for the air bleeds as they had nozzles under the runner to deliver the nitro. They did use the factory bosses for dribblers to start and warm the car.  Now on alky, the holes under the runner were plugged and the previous owner went back to the stock location with the nozzles and ran it for one race. I bought the engine and it was ran poorly since we fired it.

I pulled the nozzles out to clean them and noticed that they were completely caked up with white powder to the point to where I was using a pic to dig it out of the air bleed holes in the nozzle...thats where we realized that the intake was never drilled for the air bleeds.

I have to assume this is killing power as the fuel cannot atomize without it.

the picture attached is from a Engler manifold with the holes drilled.

Troy Wilson
Nostalgia Drag Racing League

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: Air Bleeds...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:51:53 AM »

The air bleeds are generally critical for a good idle on a naturally aspirated setup. Once you're WOT and rock'in however, they do nothing for you.

I would definitely get those air bleed holes working.

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions