Author Topic: First 1/4 mile runs  (Read 17553 times)

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
Re: First 1/4 mile runs
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 05:38:16 PM »
If you use the trans brake, just be ready for the "hit". The first time I let the button go on mine it felt like I was rear ended by truck. You may want to go out and get a chin strap.

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 06:01:08 PM »
If you use the trans brake, just be ready for the "hit". The first time I let the button go on mine it felt like I was rear ended by truck. You may want to go out and get a chin strap.

I wished I had a warning like this before I did my first hit on the transbrake. I think I had a brief loss of consciousness, then I was semi-blinded by a bright blue light (it was the sky), followed by the realization, xxxx it!, it's steep wheel stand, prepare for landing! (rookie's lucky or not, I blipped the throttle and minimized the damage a bit).

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 - 9.08
  • Your Track: Gardermoen Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 180" FED
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 02:05:11 AM »
If thats what it takes to go faster, im ready for it  :) But thanks for the warning.

Here is my 9.08 pass....

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 04:17:13 AM »
Here is the 9.17 run

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:19:14 AM by gasserx »

dreracecar

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 08:45:28 AM »
Other than carrying that big tire, Idle needs to be raised if planning to leave off the hand brake in order to keep the converter loaded, you should not have to keep pedaling the throttle to keep it lit, raise the idle till there is a slight tug on the brake handle.

By running a tach and a trans brake only you will loose reaction time consistency because your focus is on 3 things--- of coarse the tree, but now your focus on the tach bringing the rpm's to launch number which is very hard to do if you linkage/cable is not perfectly smooth in reaction so there are no hitches, but still your focus is either not enough or to much rpms instead of the tree. The third being the button on the wheel you have to think about releasing all while doing the other 2.  All this can be learned, but takes time and laps.
 If legal for your class there are a couple of drivers aids that can eliminate trying to visually maintain rpm's. You can run a 2-step rpm switch with a specific rpm value that when you apply the trans break you throttle down all the way and the chip maintains rpm value by interupting ignition timing, releasing the button kills the 2-step and allows the engine to rpm. The second is a auto-launch control. A pnumatic cylinder on your linkage that when you apply the transbrake you can fully depress the throttle pedal but the cyl only opens the injector to a pre-set RPM (you make the adjustment), once the button is released the cyl opens the injection all the way. by using the auto-launch you gain the consistancy of the same rpm's every time without thinking about it and your full concentration is on the tree and the release button is just a reaction because your foot already has the pedal all the way down
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:48:37 AM by dreracecar »

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 01:03:14 AM »
Yeah, idle was too low, i realize that now, especially after seen these movies.
I guess i can skip the tach in the beginning, just wanna go fast and find the engines limits before i start trying to run consistent.

BUT; i found flakes in the oil yesterday night, so i have to tear it down for inspection. Actually that means im doing a full rebuild. I want to make sure everything is in the best condition for next years racing.

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 04:00:20 AM »
Another good reason to raise the idle is if you do use the trans brake it will help to make sure its applied fully before you release the hand brake. If you drive up to the line and back use second gear around the pits. It will counteract some of the high idle.

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 04:39:37 AM »
Another good reason to raise the idle is if you do use the trans brake it will help to make sure its applied fully before you release the hand brake. If you drive up to the line and back use second gear around the pits. It will counteract some of the high idle.

Thanks, good to know  :)

Offline H.G. Wells

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Mild 383 SBC or 498 blown BBC
  • Your Track: Currently San Antonio, past Amarillo, Ardmore OK, Noble OK
  • Your Vehicle: late 60's FED of unknown origin
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 09:11:24 AM »
Everyone told me I did not need a tach to run the car and they were right, no time to look at it during the run. However, I did put a memory tach under the cowl to read after the run as I am too cheap to use a computer. I turn it on after the burn out and it has proven to be worthwhile.
Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 11:35:28 AM »
What brand and part # memory tach  do you use, and does it give to a play back that shows, launch RPM, shift RPM, RPM after shift [ ie stall or flash RPM], and finish line RPM ? if so got some examples ?

Thanks,
Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline H.G. Wells

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Mild 383 SBC or 498 blown BBC
  • Your Track: Currently San Antonio, past Amarillo, Ardmore OK, Noble OK
  • Your Vehicle: late 60's FED of unknown origin
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 04:53:53 PM »
Jon, the one on the FED is not a play back tach. Just memory (tattle tale or highest RPM) and it is an old Autometer that works with the internal coil Vertex. Along with the Autometer shift light for the same application, neither of which they make anymore.  It is useful for top end RPM recording, if you turn it off for the burn out. Have also caught some missed shift points with it.

I do use a newer Autometer play back in the drag boat that has a SM3 with varied results. Lots of interference. It is a true play back in real time and when it records it give good info.  I will try to find the part#   So being a low tech guy I built a gauge panel with a mechanic drive tach, boost gauge, fuel pressure, and oil pressure gauge and parked a go pro in front of it. I believe I got the idea from the Kinsler catalog with a picture of an old can-am car with a similar set up and a big old 8mm movie camera.

Just an analog guy in a digital world.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:56:21 PM by H.G. Wells »
Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

Offline roadster27

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.53@183 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: 565 dart
  • Your Track: castrol raceway , edmonton , alberta
  • Your Vehicle: 27T harwood roadster
  • General Location: rocky mountains
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 11:28:30 AM »
I run a MSD 7AL and set the shift on an electric solenoid to shift at the rpm I want , have only looked at the tach 3 times , I let the trans brake go at 4000 rpm , kph vs mph conversion is approximately x.62     , 233 = 144 mph
Harwood roadster 27T
565 , PG , 4.10
Top Eliminator