Author Topic: Quick Release Steering Hub  (Read 4448 times)

Offline 1916Racer

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: N/A
  • Your Track: Amarillo Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 1959 Dragmaster/In The Works
Quick Release Steering Hub
« on: August 02, 2015, 07:24:01 PM »
I have a 1959-60 98 inch Dragmaster I'm restoring. Was there a type of Quick Release Steering Hub used on Dragsters back during this time. If people were making their own would anyone have a picture of one. It's a tight squeeze fitting in this thing, but I want to keep it period correct. Thanks Charles.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
Re: Quick Release Steering Hub
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 08:29:22 PM »
I would say no drivers were the skinniest guy at the track typically at least from the pics I have seen.... Lol to young to have been around

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:32:14 PM »
Not sure what your wheel looks like. Sometimes if you turn them 90 degrees it will make it easier to get in.

Offline LZ

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: In progress
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2010 225" S&W
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 03:59:47 AM »
This question brought something to mind. It was awhile ago at some race whilst looking around pits there was this car Altered or dragster ??? , cant recall. But I vividly remember the wheel up on cowl.  It had a socket welded to it and there was either a Hex head screw or some hex stock welded to steering shaft.
People now would go what a hack , but that is just the way it was back then. There was no Summit or Jegs, Cheap Chinese parts. Internet. cell phones  :) ;) :D ;D

good luck keep us up to date.
Luke
"I am not a number.... I am a free man."

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 05:04:56 AM »
I first raced in 1966 and it was a long time before I saw anyone who had a quick release wheel. Even the circle track cars in those days had fixed wheels and the driver had to figure out how to work his way around it.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 02:36:11 AM »
dragsters of the 60's didn't need them.  Single hoop cages allow you to exit easier without having to stand upright in front of the axle.  With double hoop, you you need to lean a lot further forward to get your butt clear of the cage to stand upright, hence the wheel ends up between your knees.

My cars a bitch to get in and out off but its got the look I wanted so I'll have to suffer.  Cant be any worse than my 23T altered, a cockpit opening 3ft in the air with nothing to stand on, guess thats why flip up topolinos are so popular.