Author Topic: Gear drive harmonics  (Read 12641 times)

dreracecar

Re: Gear drive harmonics
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 05:07:32 PM »
Cant understand with the 100's and 100's of units sold for the last 30+ years why you are the only one having issues.

Offline Draw 3D

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Blown Alky 406 SBC
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 1923 T Roadster
  • General Location: Arizona
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 05:51:23 PM »
Cant understand with the 100's and 100's of units sold for the last 30+ years why you are the only one having issues.
I don't think the gear drive is the culprit, the manufacturing of the gears should make everything pretty concentric, I'm in belief that the harmonics were already there but the roller  chain absorbed most of it, how do the bearings look?

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 07:07:27 PM »
Well if Milodon has provided instructions on making a gear backlash adjustment and others have done it . I'm pretty sure I'm NOT the only one but I'll make another post when we get it figured out. Thank you.

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 10:14:52 AM »
Problem identified ! The gear drive idler gear and the blower pulley hub were not happy with each other. We have it apart checking everything . The hub OD will be turned down to give the gear more room. Glad we only made a few runs. Could have been real bad ! George

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 01:12:54 PM »
So you have BBC snout and you didn't turn the end of the hub down I forgot about that

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 03:04:47 PM »
Actually have a SBC snout and made a hub with a BBC OD and double keyed . The fact the Donovan idler is forward of the crank gear was miscalculated . The hub had a chamfer but needed more. The idler gear was chewing on the back side of the softer hub. Really not too much damage . Live and learn. Check --- double check and check again. Thanks. George

Actually made 5 runs with this problem. The car was .2 slower than last year and lost 10 mph. I had made a few changes over the winter but I think we found a BIG HP loss today!

Next crank is going to be a BBC snout.