Author Topic: Where can you run??  (Read 8711 times)

Offline Countn Carbs

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Bandimere Mo-Kan
  • Your Vehicle: 1931 Chevy Roadster
Where can you run??
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:29:48 AM »
So I've had in the back of my mind for years about building a little K-88 style dragster with a 302 GMC.

I can't shake it so have come to the realization that it needs to happen.  The picture isn't a K-88 chassis but gives an idea of the route I'm heading.

I have a lead on an aftermarket frame and I'm looking for an answer that I haven't been able to find information on.

1. The chassis I'm looking at is mild steel, 1/8" wall, tig welded and is the K-88 design.  Obviously it won't meet NHRA specs but can I run it at say Meltdown Drags on other specialty events?? If so where??  I'm in Colorado but willing to travel some with it. 

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:37:21 AM by Countn Carbs »

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Where can you run??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
It appears that a number of "non compliant" cars have run at the Meltdown drags and there are also still a few unsanctioned tracks around the country that are pretty much run what you brung. I presume that you are more concerned with the "look" of the car but please make the thing safe--proper clutch can or trans shield, modern seat belts and other safety equipment etc.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline Countn Carbs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 10:08:27 AM »
Thanks Roo and that is correct.  My plan is to keep the safety items you mentioned current but the frame I'd prefer to leave as is for yes...the look. 

I realize there is a fine line there and I guess I'm trying to find that line.....if there even is one.

I'm still undecided for which tranny but regardless I plan to have up to date safety related items as much as possible. 

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 02:40:27 PM »
Personally I wouldn't consider getting in a car that is obsolete  in its design but to each his own. I plan on a day or two at Byron Meltdown Drags. It is maybe 200 miles for me.  Our car wouldn't be allowed to run because of the Centerline wheels.

Offline Countn Carbs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 06:30:49 AM »
Thanks guys.  Certainly the concern is building it and then you have this "new" car that won't pass so you end up with eye candy so to speak.

I was thinking I'd try and figure out what E/T I think it will run and then between the NHRA and SFI guidelines figure out what I'd need to do.  I want a safe car but yet an old looking car and that can be a hard batch to mix.

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 07:49:26 AM »
  I want a safe car but yet an old looking car and that can be a hard batch to mix.

Sorry, that statement is a bunch of crap. Maybe if your asperations are quicker then 7.50, but an old style car can be built and still meet spec. One just has to run the plans through your local chassie cert guy along the way. I have had to do some odd builds but being in contact with the cert guy during left no surprizes for him to scratch his head over. Plus the next time it needs cert, but with a different guy, all he does is check tubing size because the design was already approved once before

Offline Countn Carbs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 07:04:05 AM »
No need to be sorry and that's why I'm asking....you guys know, I don't -  but I want to learn.
Good to know there can be a path one can take, do it the right/safe way and end up with a quality car.

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 02:04:17 PM »
Ours is based off a Chassis Research T440,powered by a flathead, I've add alot of tubeing to the cockpit area for safety, as you can see, it was buildt to run the type of races you are talking about, Being old and beat up I asked my Girlfriend Beth to drive it, She had never even sat in a dragster before this, so were taking our time with her before running it on a track,Lots of time on the stands and now a few times in the yard, easier to fix problems at home than at the track, anyway here's some pics of what we started with and what it turned into,, Tim Jones

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 02:17:15 PM »
BTW  I have her wearing  SFI 20 suit also ,, It might be over kill,, But Keep in mind a gas powered motor can soak you in hot oil just as easy as a nitro motor,, Tim Jones

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 09:24:26 AM »
The HAMB drags at MoKan in Missouri is where you are looking to race.  Go to the HAMB message board, and you'll get all the information you need.  Or go to MoKan's website.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline Countn Carbs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 06:22:41 AM »
Thanks guys...I appreciate all the information and insight....very helpful.