Author Topic: front end wobble  (Read 5921 times)

Offline hotrodharley

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: 540 BBC/12-71 BLOWER/26%OD/PG TRANS/4;10 GEARS
  • Your Track: GOODTIMES DRAG STRIP
  • Your Vehicle: FUEL ALTERED
front end wobble
« on: June 06, 2015, 07:45:20 PM »
made a light pass with car last weekend and on top end of track[1/8th mile track]my front end started wobble[steering wheel shaking back and forth]seems like as soon as I lifted on throttle it stoped the wobble I believe.happen so fast can't remember if it stopped on it's own or when I lifted or if I accelerated and stopped it;;tires are new but has been sitting on car for roughly7 years;;king pins and wheel bearings are good;;;What do I need to do[new spindle mount wheels]to hopefuly fix this issue;
"DARK SIDE" AA/fuel altered
"BADTOYZZ RACING
SPRING CREEK NV

dreracecar

Re: front end wobble
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 08:08:34 PM »
VW type steering dampner on the try rod is the fix for that

Offline Draw 3D

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Blown Alky 406 SBC
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 1923 T Roadster
  • General Location: Arizona
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
To me, a wobble at speed is a result of something going bad, I would check all attachment points, i.e. heim joints, and make sure everything is tight. Also, I would check each mounted front wheel for run out and balance, and, that there is sufficient toe in although that would make the car wander and should not cause a wobble.

Good luck and keep us informed as to what you find, you just might be helping someone else out.

Offline MikenMpls

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: 408 dart little m block and Iron Eagle heads
  • Your Track: Cameron, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 205" FED
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 06:32:12 PM »
Tire imbalance can cause a high speed wobble (or shimmy) but so can too much caster. How much caster is in the car? did you recently change front tires? Wheels? Tubes etc?  All things to check but adding the damper (like the sport bikes) fixes lots of little issues that can stack up.

Offline Defiance

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.45 in 1/8th
  • Your Track: Coastal Plains Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 23T Altered
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 08:20:23 AM »
A little late responding.  For future referance.  Obviously, the basics must be checked first.  Caster/camber, wheel bearings etc for correctness/mechanical condition.  However, I had this same problem with my Altered after changing from a rack and pinion to a Funny Car steering box  Bottom line, it came down to adding a S&W Racing Funny Car steering stabilizer.  Never had a problem since.