Author Topic: safety equipment  (Read 14136 times)

Offline 23Taltered

• View Profile
  • Your Track: eddyville raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 23 T Altered
safety equipment
« on: June 01, 2015, 05:58:02 PM »
can anyone tell me what is required for safety equipment (helmet, suit, shoes, gloves, etc..) for the IHRA? altered that will run somewhere around 5.0 in the 1/8th running a naturally aspirated motor on alcohol. cant seem to find any solid answers.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: safety equipment
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 08:23:21 PM »
Here is a link to IHRA rule book

http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?i=240884#{"issue_id":240884,"page":0}

Both NHRA and IHRA rules books are confusing. the equipment "builds" as you go higher in classes.

5.0 in the 1/8 will be some where around  8.0 or a little better in the 1/4 (165 mph)

You will need to know what class you will be running in, do you have a license yet?
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline 23Taltered

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 10:49:53 AM »
I do not have my license yet, this will be my first open bodied car running that fast.

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 12:25:30 PM »
I would call an IHRA tech. When I licensed tech told me I needed a 20 layer suit, after a phone call to NHRA tech we found that n/a on alky with a firewall in a fed only needed a 5 layer suit. Not sure on an altered.
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline 23T Hemmee

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.78 @ 196+
  • Your Engine: 557 KB-Veney Blown-alky
  • Your Track: Beech Bend-Bowling Green, KY
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Plueger 23T Altered
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 03:59:40 PM »
If your tranny (glide, planetary) on any front motored car is fully enclosed by a tunnel you can run a -5, if any part is exposed to the driver, you have to run a -20, at least in NHRA.
Ronny
Mechanical Bull
John 14:6

Offline jspell

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.48 / 178
  • Your Track: Maple Grove Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 2014 Ken Keir Dragster
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 06:34:41 PM »
This seems to be an unclear topic with NHRA. I have a FED that where the tranny is separated from the driver by a bulkhead / firewall.  I thought I could use a -5 suit, then NHRA tells me because I'm sitting behind the rear housing, I need a -15 suit. 

Offline Totally T

• View Profile
    • NDRL
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 07:18:23 PM »
Using ET Rules..a -5 will work as long as the stock case trans is sealed off with a floorboard meaning that you cannot see tranny from looking down. If you are using a aftermarket case, you do not have to have it covered.

Troy Wilson
Nostalgia Drag Racing League

Offline 23Taltered

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 07:47:34 PM »
at this point I have a stock case with a trans-shield but no flexplate shield is this passable? I do have a floor pan and cannot see transmission while sitting in the car. not trying to skimp on safety by any means but I don't want to show up to the track and have the wrong equipment and have to buy things twice.

Offline Totally T

• View Profile
    • NDRL
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 03:22:52 AM »
Stock case  requires a flexplate shield regardless of what suit you choose....but a full floorboard will get you in with a -5 using NHRA ET Rules.
Troy Wilson
Nostalgia Drag Racing League

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 03:33:29 AM »
If you go to the link that Glenn posted. On pages 68 and 69 you will find the info you need for IHRA. Use the 0.00 to 9.99 chapter.
You will need a certified flexplate, flexplate shield and trans shield.
A -5 suit with gloves, arm restraints, neck brace and helmet would be the minimum. Racing shoes are a good idea as sneakers can melt and stick to you in a fire.
Trans can be exposed for IHRA with a -5 suit. NHRA requires a -15 suit or cover on trans.
I thought a helmet with a SA rating was required with the engine up front. If its not its a good idea. They have a strap that is fire retardant so it wont melt and stick to you or break away in a fire.

dreracecar

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 08:15:36 AM »
Exposed trans(driver not seperated by full coverage floorpan or bulkhead/firewall) requires fireboots over your shoes. with hot trans oil, would would be greatfull for the extra layers.

Also go by whichever org (NHRA-IHRA) has the tightest rules and not the more lax requirments---that way one is never caught off guard.

A -5 suit is nothing but covering to destiguish you apart from the spectator crowd
  -5 = 5 seconds in a fire before serious skin damage
  -15 = 15 seconds
  -20 = 20 seconds
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:24:21 AM by dreracecar »

Offline 23T Hemmee

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.78 @ 196+
  • Your Engine: 557 KB-Veney Blown-alky
  • Your Track: Beech Bend-Bowling Green, KY
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Plueger 23T Altered
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 07:26:26 AM »

Also go by whichever org (NHRA-IHRA) has the tightest rules and not the more lax requirments---that way one is never caught off guard.

Most excellent advice!!!
Ronny
Mechanical Bull
John 14:6

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 12:57:09 PM »
2 years ago it became mandatory for any car that runs quicker than 7.50 to use a head and neck restraint ! After using mine for the last couple of years I would never go back to a neck collar even if I was running a high 8 second car ! You feel so much more secure with it on !

Offline 23Taltered

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 01:08:47 PM »
i got my car certified this weekend and even while at the track no one could give me a straight answer on which suit I need, I know the safer the better but its hard to want to spend $1200+ on a suit when I could spend less than half that and be out racing. from what I read in the rule book it says that in an altered with a  supercharged engine a 15 suit is required but it doesn't say anything about a naturally aspirated motor. at this point the suit is really the only thing holding me up from racing.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 01:42:19 PM »
i got my car certified this weekend and even while at the track no one could give me a straight answer on which suit I need, I know the safer the better but its hard to want to spend $1200+ on a suit when I could spend less than half that and be out racing. from what I read in the rule book it says that in an altered with a  supercharged engine a 15 suit is required but it doesn't say anything about a naturally aspirated motor. at this point the suit is really the only thing holding me up from racing.

Did you say safer is better ? Guess you got your answer. I hope. George