Author Topic: Why a FED or Nostalgia racing  (Read 24854 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Why a FED or Nostalgia racing
« on: May 31, 2015, 04:05:07 PM »
A thread for little fun.

What made you want to race a FED or other style of nostalgia car over more modern boring cookie cutter,oops kind of giving away part of my reason.

For me FED is cooler(to me),different than 10,000 RED's,lighter and little tuning challange to make it work as a bracket car. Most importent is its badass IMO and I am the one flipping the bill.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
Re: Why a FED or Nostalgia racing
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 05:15:35 PM »
For me at first it was the look of a FED. Then I got one and it was a blast to drive. But I didn't really know how much I liked it until I had a RED.

Offline JakeB23

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 07:04:53 PM »
Because people will walk past 10 RED's going 4.7x's in the lanes to talk to me about my 5.50 FED.

As one guy said, "if I wanted to see flawless pretty cars, my hobby would have been car shows, but I'm a racer.."

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 07:48:26 PM »
my dad started running a FED in 84 while I was a kid and it is the only kind of car I know of that should go down a dragstrip....

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 02:16:35 AM »
for me it was originally the cheapest and most accessible way to go drag racing.  In the UK we don't have the RWD V8 cars for easy street /strip fun, and american muscle cars were out of my price range.  My first slingshot was a 120" powered by a Ford V6 which I later put a Rover V8 in (aluminium Buick 215).  Got bitten by the bug and have been racing and building cars since. 

I may one day build a RED if only for the challenge of building a split chassis and something comfortable to drive.  I'm not hung up on the FED thing, what puts me off a RED is the way they're churned out with little to no individuality.  They've become a tool rather than an engineering art form. I put modern TF TED's in that category also.  For me the looks of a front engine car is as, if not more important that how it goes.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 07:03:07 AM »
My Mom found a drawing I made in 3rd grade of an FED
I have drag raced all my life, ran Mopar door cars--had fun but..hung it up for last 7-8 years since the 08 economy fall
Finally decided one last car build--made for FUN--not going to make it a scond job like before--run when I feel like it and weather is pretty so Nostalgia was way to go
Built my car--have been running it and thing is--I WISH I had built one of these years ago--it is the most fun I have ever had in any car period! driving one is the ultimate car experience! i love how they go so fast with so little an engine--the fans love it--I am having the time of my life with this car!!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 12:22:45 PM »
After working on FEDNV's fed for a few years, he asked if I would like to drive it. Decided to get my lic in it. On the second hit went 7.92 @ 171. It was when the ambulance sitting on the second return road went blipping by I realized how fast I was going and I was hooked. Exactly 1 year later I now have one in my garage waiting for an engine and all the Good Times in the near future. Oh and the people involved in the nostalgia events are great! But the best part is for sure the burn out.... Thanks Scott!
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 01:42:38 PM »
Greg you are welcome!!!!  I got into it when a friend of mine in a car club ran a c gas vega and I went to my first nostalgia race.  Told my buddy after the race I was getting a FED and so I sold my harley, sold my rat rod and bought the setup I have now.  Greg and I have been at it now for almost 6 years and we have never had so much fun period let alone drag racing and we have been drag racing since high school on the streets.  This is by far the most fun I have had in a car.  Too bad 6 second passes are out of my financial portfolio (for now wink wink).  Like everyone else we have met just the nicest people and enjoy the feel of the nostalgia events.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 02:34:32 PM »
I started racing in 1969 with a FED and another FED after that 3 RED'S and now my Parks FED ! It is by far the best race car I have ever had !

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 02:37:55 PM »
That was then This is now

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 04:58:59 PM »
Bill,

In first pic of first car is chute even connected?

I will say you had a set driving that thing.No way your head was anywhere near in safe postion with rollbar. Amazing when you look back at how unsafe some cars where that did not seem so then.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

dreracecar

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 05:58:53 PM »
Looks like the shoulder straps dragging on the ground--- another plus

Offline Nightmare AA/FA

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Bakersfield, CA
  • Your Vehicle: 1934 Ford AA/FA
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 08:57:13 PM »
I'm 41, so I never saw a race at Lions. I missed the hay days of OCIR and the other So Cal tracks. But I've always been drawn to "Nostalgia Cars." For me they're cooler then todays modern cars. I don't care to watch super comp or super gas cars.  Gassers, NE cars and the fuel cars just appeal to me.

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 11:24:45 AM »
Back then what we had was what we had ! That car had a 2 speed stick transmission ! I remember the first time we ran in the 9's with it I thought we were really flying ! Fun times !!!

Offline tinbanger

• View Profile
    • William
  • Your Best Time: 7.85
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley
  • Your Vehicle: 225" Spitzer FED
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 01:52:43 PM »
I have said it before. An FED is the most fun you can have with your pants on. I have only made one run with my 05 spitzer 7.90 /173 . The ignition craped out and have not had the time to get back with the repair, work and weather. Car ran that 7.90 with what sounded like it was on the chip from half track. Still the ride was worth it.