Author Topic: Custom Pistons and all the cool extras you can get  (Read 7464 times)

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
Custom Pistons and all the cool extras you can get
« on: May 19, 2015, 10:04:45 AM »
So I have to have custom pistons made because of my odd ball heads and was wondering what every thinks about or has real world experience with skirt coatings and gas porting on the pistons.  I am doing a mold as well.

I am going with JE and they have 2 skirt coatings.  One is a break in coating that wears off and the other is a permanent one.  Anyone have any experience with these?  I know they are becoming pretty popular and have heard good things on the break in coatings.

Gas porting? any real benefit, both vertical and horizontal and have read most drag racers like the vertical.  Any thoughts on this add on?

Any other considerations like ring pack size or other customizing features you can get?

These are going into an alcohol injected 565 BBC and looking at around 15:1 compression.
thanks
Scott

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
Re: Custom Pistons and all the cool extras you can get
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 11:33:12 AM »
I would say yes to both options ! The coated pistons are easier on the walls and the gas ports will make more power . Are you going to use an .043 ring again this would be a good choice for more hp .

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 12:40:29 PM »
I was told the .043 rings are the way to go and yes that what I was planning on.

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 08:16:08 AM »
Gimmicks--  Build the engine with sound techniques and one does not need all that crap

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 08:34:04 AM »
Gimmicks--  Build the engine with sound techniques and one does not need all that crap

With due respect, I have a different perspective. For example, a lot of production cars now have pistons with hard anodized ring lands. I work in the automotive industry, believe me, these guys fight to save pennies and would not use anything that doesn't add value.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 09:54:15 AM »
I do a lot of dyno work and engine work
There is power in low drag ring packages for most anything but....have to agree with DRE on this one
The small gains you 'might" see  ( and I mean MIGHT) in an alky drag engine like we run is nothing much at all and the important thing is oil control and the ability to hang in there in a block that may not even have water so my vote would be for a regular 1/16th  1/16th  3/16th ring package
it is normal and cheap and foolproof!!
all those high dollar skinny rings have a place like a super stock engine or a circle tracker that is limited and needs another 2 hp but no way I would use them in what we do
OEM guys use them to aid MPG more than any other reason if truth be told
ring drag ain't what holds us back
custom oddball pistons mean big big $$$ later when you need a couple more ( and impossible wait times)
I build customer engines as standard, easy to get, normal as possible for cheap operation and EASE of repair
Just my opinion--not directed at the original poster but...every racer thinks they are an engine developer and does some odd combo --that is just not right--this stuff has already been figured out--get the basics right and go on
To my point-- he needs expensive pistons because of Odd heads--

again--not aiming to make trouble here or be a smart a%&  it is just something I deal with every day with customers--
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 10:02:53 AM »
It may be pointed out that I am slow so I must not know anything--I race with parts that my customers throw out--I have a cracked block, an eagle crank that  did not mag good, used rods that had been in a circle track engine that jumped the fence , went airborn and turned 10K rpm or more  ( so the rods were tossed) I have pistons that came out of an overheated drag engine and were scuffed to heck and back--i simply sanded them until the big gouges were gone--I did reclaim an oil pump--I used new bearings and rings, valvesprings but other than that my Junk pile runs mid 5's in the eighth like the Everready bunny and I have less than most folks spend on valve covers in it--oh and my $600 Craigs list heads that are way too small if you ask anybody :)
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »

With due respect, I have a different perspective. For example, a lot of production cars now have pistons with hard anodized ring lands. I work in the automotive industry, believe me, these guys fight to save pennies and would not use anything that doesn't add value.

Just to qualify my comment, the mindset here is survive-ability, not HP gain.
My SBC400 has three or four news parts, everything else is well used (and some past conceivable life span).

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 11:49:16 AM »
An .043 ring will make more power than a 1/16 ring in an un blown motor . They will last just as long .

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »
Well after dealing with JE for a few days trying to get information and frankly some attitude on the phone from the tech people I ended up calling Ross pistons.  I spoke to a tech guy there and he was very familiar with the heads I have and said I do not need custom pistons and they have an off the shelf dome that will fit and have the compression I was looking for (in fact a bit more closer to 16:1).  Also, these come with gas porting, accumulator groove and a few other "extras" that JE charged for.  These also come with the .043, .043, 3mm ring pack so in the end I am pretty happy.  I can also order these through Summit and get pro shop pricing.

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 03:03:31 PM »
Well after dealing with JE for a few days trying to get information and frankly some attitude on the phone from the tech people I ended up calling Ross pistons.  I spoke to a tech guy there and he was very familiar with the heads I have and said I do not need custom pistons and they have an off the shelf dome that will fit and have the compression I was looking for (in fact a bit more closer to 16:1).  Also, these come with gas porting, accumulator groove and a few other "extras" that JE charged for.  These also come with the .043, .043, 3mm ring pack so in the end I am pretty happy.  I can also order these through Summit and get pro shop pricing.
   Just be very careful with that much compression with your intake closing can be very important with injected alcohol . alcohol takes up volume and raises your compression even higher ! Too much dynamic compression can cause some serious issues .