Author Topic: 145" Slingshot build in the UK  (Read 32979 times)

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
Re: 145" Slingshot build in the UK
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2016, 02:56:24 PM »
Lookin' great!

dreracecar

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2016, 04:45:56 PM »
The only way to determine proper placement is to suit and helmet up and sit in the car and find out what works. Its one of those things you want to do right the first time.

I prefer to mount a chute handle to the left side in front of the forward hoop pushing forward to pull cable and open chute. Trying to pull back on something that needs a lot of throw is difficult in a cramped car and trying to find something burried while in darkness could lead to trouble. My prefered left side/push forward keeps your left (driving)hand on the wheel and you cross your right across your chest and find the roll cage, slide your hand down the tubing to the bottom and push forward on the lever and then go back to the brake handle. You will always find that bar even if your visor is covered in smoke/oil

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2016, 07:03:28 PM »
Chrome powder coat is getting there and has the look of highly polished aluminium but still not close to the reflective qualities of stainless or chrome

I powder coat to make money on (pretty professional), this is my oven

Chrome powder coat is very disappointing. I try and get people not to do it and when they insist and I do it it is disappointing, it is nothing but shinny silver
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2016, 05:14:46 AM »
I agree with Bruce. Lever directly in front of the front cage hoop so that it is easy to find and push forward to operate. Depending on brake lever placement (if you have a hand brake) I like to put the chute release on the right so that you can fan it on your way to grabbing the brake.  If your car is tight and you can't get your elbow back enough to do that the left side placement and cross over deal is better. And please don't use a Morse type cable for the chute--a simple single wire deal is more than enough to hold the pack closed. My Don Long car did not even have an outer sheath on the cables--they simply ran under the upholstery where it was snap fastened to the shoulder hoop.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline H.G. Wells

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Mild 383 SBC or 498 blown BBC
  • Your Track: Currently San Antonio, past Amarillo, Ardmore OK, Noble OK
  • Your Vehicle: late 60's FED of unknown origin
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2016, 07:07:43 AM »
Another vote for left side in front of hoop. I cross over with my right hand and it is easy to follow down the front of the hoop to find it in case of a problem. I am also a fan of opening it on every run to develop muscle memory. New build will not have a sheath either, just the wire.
Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

dreracecar

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2016, 09:36:04 AM »
Roo , with the round back shoulder hoop its going to be cramped, different story if it was a square hoop instead.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2016, 09:57:36 AM »
Roo , with the round back shoulder hoop its going to be cramped, different story if it was a square hoop instead.

My cars all use a "square" (Long style) shoulder hoop
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Ponti

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2016, 12:49:48 PM »
Bit more work done today.

I've attached a couple more pictures, might make more sense of where I am thinking of my chute handle.  I have mocked it up with one from a fire suppression system,  I mounted it infront of my brake lever, so it's a pull chute......pull brake.

Also sat in the car and tried the shifter, Oops... hit the axle when I pulled it back for 1st, I then realised that once strapped I'd not be able to shift it forward enough for reverse or park.  Time to get thinking   ::)  out with the woodworking tools and some ply and a temp handle fab'd to test operation. Took a couple of goes but it works, just need to sort some cable for operating the lockout, and get a shifter made. Not sure a wooden one would pass Tech inspection  ;D

Oh and the views not bad from the seat.

dreracecar

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2016, 02:16:28 PM »
NEVER have anything protuding  (chute cable bracket) that your knee can come into contact with in case of accident or you will limping for a long long time

Ponti

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2016, 02:25:54 PM »
I would have a fairing on the bracket if I kept it there, and obviously a more rounded outside edge.

dreracecar

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2016, 06:40:56 PM »
Will not make any difference, Your knees not mine

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2016, 06:00:28 AM »
I personally wouldn't have it there.  You'll be unable to find and deploy it from down there when you REALLY need it in a hurry.  It'll also be a pain to live with getting in an out of the car, ie bootlace, trouser material snagging / deploying it.  You really don't want stuff around you're knees either, difficult to get out of a burning car with shattered knee caps....  Also when belted in with arm restraints on can you actually reach it ?

If you're using a pull handle maybe place it in whatever arrangement you make to support the upper steering column. In my experience you want it within your peripheral vision and reach when sat in the car belted in with restraints on looking down the track.  Looking down to find and pull it really isn't practical at speed especially with a helmet support on.

Ponti

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2016, 03:50:58 AM »
Well I have picked up one of the bigger finds for the car, an Early Enderle bug catcher,  still need the blower so I made a wooden frame to hold it at the correct height and get the feel for the final look.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2016, 06:26:12 AM »
Where is the shot of you sitting in it making engine noises?

Looking good.

Glenn
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline rooman

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2016, 08:20:50 AM »
This is what the chute lever install in Glenn's car looks like (on the left because the shifter is on the right). In your application pushing the lever forward would put your hand right where the brake handle is located. No need for a loop in the cable and you can slide the back of your hand down the front cage hoop to locate the lever.

Roo