Author Topic: Leaking powerglide pan  (Read 6102 times)

Offline 32bantam

• View Profile
    • SS3 Race Team
  • Your Best Time: 6.87 at BG 2013 aiming for 7.0
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: 32 Bantam altered
Leaking powerglide pan
« on: May 11, 2015, 03:31:11 AM »
OK Dan....what is your way of getting the gasket area of the pan to NOT leak when the car has not been started in awhile and the convertor oil gets above the gasket surface. ie. without having to chisel the pan off later !!!! lol
It is a cast aluminum pan...strong and flat. Not sure what is on it now. Hughes Performance went thru it for me in Phoenix and whatever they do ain't getting it done. (but the trans works perfect)
Steve Walczak

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
Re: Leaking powerglide pan
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 05:45:06 AM »
First let me say Im glad to hear Sally is ok.                                           
With a cast pan I use the black farpak gasket with a thin coat ultra black silicone on both side. I have seen a couple of things that give you a false leak at the pan. One can be the solenoid, It can follow the pan gasket around and drip off the front. Another can be the fill tube, if you have an o-ring type they can leak and run down the same as the solenoid.  I encourage my customers to switch to a boot type tube. I even weld these ends on for my Ford and Chrysler customers. One other thing I have seen that can mimick a pan leak is to long of pan bolt. If the bolts are to long at the pump area they can hit the bottom side of the pump bore cracking it causing a leak at the pump o-ring, that will again run down and appear to be a pan leak, this can also happen at the front of the servo  cover, causing a crack and leak.  Hope this helps, Dan.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:55:39 AM by bikeguy307 »

Offline Draw 3D

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Blown Alky 406 SBC
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 1923 T Roadster
  • General Location: Arizona
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:37:51 AM »
I had a leak in my deep cast pan as well, talked to Hughes and they told me check the pan flatness and if need be, use RightStuff sealant as it is trans fluid resistant. Pan was indeed out-of-flat, filed it flat, and used RightStuff now no leaks.

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 08:07:18 AM »
I had a leak in my deep cast pan as well, talked to Hughes and they told me check the pan flatness and if need be, use RightStuff sealant as it is trans fluid resistant. Pan was indeed out-of-flat, filed it flat, and used RightStuff now no leaks.

Permatex's Right Stuff seals very well, although it nearly takes TNT to get it apart again.

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 05:34:43 AM »
I forgot one of the most common leaks in a glide that will appear to be a pan leak. The 6 o clock pump bolt hole connects to a valvebody bolt hole and the one at 5 o clock is a thru hole to the inside of the case.  Even with the coated washer on the pump bolts they tend to leak run down and drip off the pan. I always put silicone on the threads of those bolts. You can pull these bolts with the trans in the car clean them and put them back in with silicone.