Author Topic: Relocating puke tank  (Read 4746 times)

Offline tdracer

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.90 1/4 (RED) 4.71 1/8 (FED)
  • Your Engine: SBC Supercharged alky 400cid
  • Your Track: Various
  • Your Vehicle: Dragsters front and rear engined
Relocating puke tank
« on: May 11, 2015, 07:03:28 PM »
I was thinking of moving my breather tank to the rear of the car.  I was wanting to run it through the frame rails.  Upper ? Lower? Do I need to block off the portions that aren't being used in routing?  Should i be adding a provision for a drain at a low point in the frame?
Then the choice, just a length of tube and slide a hose over it?  or weld on a threaded bung for an AN fitting?

Thanks

Brian

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Relocating puke tank
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 05:05:12 AM »
Brian,
         I usually run my puke tubes to the lower frame rail although some use the upper like most funny cars. I normally put a freeze plug just ahead of where the burndown tube enters the rail although in the past I have put drain plugs in the front of the lower rails. At the rear I put the exit at the rear lower crossmember to main rail junction and connect it to the puke tank spouts with hose. I bead the ends of the spigots and use good quality rubber or silicon hose rather than AN fittings. At events we check the tank drain between runs but in the case of a major puke situation I would pull the hoses off the frame spigots at the rear and elevate the front end to drain the frame.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 08:52:16 AM »
Personaly, I dont like running the vent thru the frame and try and avoid doing so, But in reality when dealing with nitro it becomes a nessasary evil and should put the tank behind the rear tires, the bad point about doing it is if you have to repair the frame as there is no way to flush all that crap out which makes welding near imposable. about the only thing you can do at that point is to clam shell the area leaving the crack underneath unwelded and hope heating the area does not lite off whats in the tube. Would be sad to travel a distance to a race and not able to do a simple track repair. 20 years of running a blown alc dragster, I have never pulled more than dixie cup(mostly condensation) out of my front mounted tank after a weekend of racing. One is simply not going to melt down a piston(like nitro does) running on alcohol and puke it all out

Offline tdracer

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.90 1/4 (RED) 4.71 1/8 (FED)
  • Your Engine: SBC Supercharged alky 400cid
  • Your Track: Various
  • Your Vehicle: Dragsters front and rear engined
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:31:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies, maybe i should just consider reducing the size of the tank and keeping it up front.  With the small amount of liquid collecting, a quart or one and a half quarts capacity would probably do.  My car was originally built for fuel, so the puke can about 2 gallons now.

Thanks again.

Brian

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 04:08:34 AM »
When we ran the injected engine two Moroso puke bottles were used. After we built the alky blower setup a 1+ gallon tank was built and the breather tubes from the VC to tank were upsized. I recall a 1 gallon tank was a minimum size required. Maybe NHRA 1.13 ?http://www.nhra.com/userfiles/file/2014%20Rule%20Book%20General%20Regulations_120413.pdf

George

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »
1 gal capacity is plenty and suprizingly small , use a gallon thinner can as reference