Author Topic: Dragmaster Chassis  (Read 6926 times)

Offline 1916Racer

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: N/A
  • Your Track: Amarillo Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 1959 Dragmaster/In The Works
Dragmaster Chassis
« on: May 05, 2015, 07:23:45 AM »
I am new to the forum, hope I'm doing this correct. I have a complete original 98 inch wheelbase Dragmaster rolling chassis. It still has the old pie crust (I think that's what there called) slicks, it's surprisingly original. The question I have is it has a steering box and front end for a right hand steering. The steering box is a "Lavine Model A". The mount for the steering box is original to the frame, it wasn't modified at a latter date. What would be the reason to have the steering right hand? And is there a way to possibly I.D. the frame. Every Dragmaster I've seen or other manufactures by searching pictures show they all steer out the left. Any help or leads would be great. This is my first Dragster, I restore Vintage Motorcycles. And I'm going to restore it period correct. Would like to try and learn some history of this style frame. Thanks Charles.

dreracecar

Re: Dragmaster Chassis
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:47:09 AM »
As long as the car steers, it does not matter what side it steers from.
In reference to why most steer from the left is simple---- its the design of the box, Input from the shaft is on the top of the box and the output to the wheels is on the bottom, this lets you possision the box lower in the chassie and a straight shot at the driver. If you turned one of these boxes over with the input (from driver) on the bottom, the box would/could interfeir with the cowel/body and the shaft would angle up sharply and the driver would have to get under the steering wheel and push to turn where as if the steering was direct the wheel angle is reduced and much easier to turn in tight confines.
 Funny cars on the other hand are heavier to steer and benefit with a high angle so getting under the wheel and pushing(more room) is easier than twisting ones wrist

Offline 1916Racer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 06:43:16 PM »
I thought maybe there was another reason that Dragsters seem to all steer from the left side, instead of just how the box was made. I would think that steering boxes would be built for a specific application, not the application built around an existing box. I wondered if it had something to do with chassis flex under acceleration? The steering box in my Dragmaster has the input shaft in the center, and the output shaft to the wheels on the bottom. It would have made it very impractical to make the type of bracket it would take to mount it if it had been built to steer from the left side, because of the way the box was made to mount. This box was made to steer from the right side. The shaft on this box doesn't angle up sharply like it would if it had just been turned over. The shaft runs straight, and the brackets to mount the box, and steering shaft are original to the car, and have not been altered. It's a very clean and tight setup. So since all the pictures I can find of Dragmasters steer from the left I was thinking someone into Vintage, or someone from that era might be able to help identify this chassis, or why it was built that way, if it happened to be one that few were made in this configuration, might help me to identify who it was built for. I appreciate all the people who read my question and the response. Thanks Charles.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 09:21:01 PM »
I agree with Bruce, DRE, it depends on the steering box. Back in the day Kent Fuller made a bunch of dragsters with right draglink steering. I've also included an under the cowl photo of my real nitro JrFueler I raced for 5 years, 1963-1968, showing my right steering.
No I don't remember the brand of box.
I just heard of a recent steering issue, a FED racing in Comp elim, had to shut off early because he got out of shape and when he turned the wheel to the left, it didn't turn, because he was using a one piece thin wall Ti drag link and it would bend away from the chassis, and not turn the front wheels.

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline 1916Racer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 06:18:34 AM »
I appreciate the answers. The reason for the post, & question. Is this right hand drive Dragmaster a specific build, since every Dragmaster I've seen is left hand drive. Does anyone know any information on a right hand drive Dragmaster, or have a picture of a right hand drive Dragmaster. Are the original chassis builders still alive, and if so is there a way to contact them. Thanks Charles.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 11:39:53 AM »
Charles,
             Jim Nelson passed away in 2012 but as far as I know Dode Martin is still around even though he must be about 90 years old ( He was still racing 3 years ago). The west coast guys are more likely to have news on his current situation but the last phone number that I had for him was 760 728 7999.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline 1916Racer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 03:25:32 PM »
Thanks RooMan for the information. I talked to Dode Martin Wednesday, he was very nice and enjoyed talking about the old day's. He's 90 this June. He was interested in seeing the original chassis I have, and ask if I would take some detailed pictures of the right hand steering, the front end, and pictures of a few more areas and send them to him. He does not do computers, so no e-mails. He is going to get together with another friend of his from that era, (Jim Nelsons Brother)and see if they can determine who the chassis could have been built for. It almost looks like it might have been built for a Potvin supercharger because of the cable guides and a pivot bracket, going down the inside left rail. I'll update you. Thanks again for the reply's, Charles.