Author Topic: How much atf on newly built trans ,should i fill the converter.  (Read 3558 times)

Offline ricci32

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: sbc ,gas, 358cid
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley
  • Your Vehicle: Vintage style FED
Just got my shorty glide  new fresh tranny no fluid at all. should I fill the converter also how much will I need. It has a moroso deep sump pan.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: How much atf on newly built trans ,should i fill the converter.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 07:15:33 AM »
Guessing you have an 8 inch converter--I started with some in converter and 6 in trans wound up close to 7-8--probably close to 8--I have one of the cast alum pans off Ebay that is pretty deep--whatever you do don't over fill and do allow for fluid expansion when it heats up--you will be surprised how much that is--6 to get it started then fill from there is safe  just my two cents worth 
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 09:48:06 AM »
I put one in the converter and 4 in the pan fire the motor and add 2 more for a total of 7 check for engagement of forward and reverse. Put it back in park and top it off to just above the cold mark. Ferding on the cooler size this should put you around 8 with a deep pan. Then run it through the gears a couple of times to ensure the air is out of the system, check the trans brake if it has one. This should have put enough heat in it to check it and finish topping it off to just below the hot mark. Hope this helps, Dan

Offline ricci32

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: sbc ,gas, 358cid
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley
  • Your Vehicle: Vintage style FED
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:55:39 AM »
thanks guys