Author Topic: looking to get started  (Read 18316 times)

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: looking to get started
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 09:01:36 AM »
many of us rookies that have built door cars/ circle trackers etc looked and went how hard can that be? Well they Look simple but there is much to learn--buying a quality roller gets you to the track much faster. Staring with a kit is super rewarding but you will find it takes a long time to get her finished and buying every little giblet one item at a time sure adds up $$$
A PLAIN SBC will fly in one of these--no need to plan on any big fancy power to start for sure!
If I live to be 100 I will never forget my first pass--I raced for over 20 years before and never experienced anything as thrilling as an FED.
The nostalgia deal is growing every year and is starting to have some very good events nationwide. There are clubs everywhere now as well.
Good Luck!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 12:22:51 PM »
You guy's are just a bunch of kids at 49 ! I had my first FED at 19 and I am still at it at 64 ! Have fun !

Offline Oldschool

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.42 in a BB Chevy Altered 9.28 in my Vega
  • Your Engine: 434 Scott Shafiroff Racing Engine
  • Your Track: US 36 , Mo Kan and Heartland Park Topeka
  • Your Vehicle: 173" Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 03:29:14 PM »
Wow ,that is amazing. I have had so many types of race cars,but this is the last one.
It is not the years in your life
But the life in your years

Offline jason29a

• View Profile
  • Your Track: i 30 speedway
  • Your Vehicle: late model
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 08:34:24 AM »
So of the ones that built car, what designs did you use?....... And has anyone used the Mark Williams plans?

Online wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 06:10:09 AM »
My design with alot of research.Looked at cpl thousand pics of chassis,lots measurements a calculations and even scaled a cpl of 1/16 models of old FEDS.May seem stupid but those things are very accurate reproductions and scaled to be almost exact copy. Half dozen or so full scale drawings also.
Will I change a few things on next car yes,will it be a lot of things nope. How well did I do? Looks good ,omly some runs will tell. Would using someone elses design drawing and modifing to suit my wants have been better idea,heck probably. If you order a SFI spec you get very detailed drawing of whats acceptable and safe. Very well spent $35.

You are already off to good start researching it. If you do build be prepared for long hours in shop(a plus),changes will be made, cost of tubing and tooling to be more than expect.Price of satisfaction of having done it yourself is hard to place on it.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 06:49:29 AM »
So of the ones that built car, what designs did you use?....... And has anyone used the Mark Williams plans?

Building your own car is a very rewarding experience, just don't forget to take into consideration the actual amount of time and tools involved. It takes a lot of determination and follow through to finish a car that you've built from scratch. Lot's of people lose interest before their car is finished. You might come out ahead to buy a pre-welded chassis and do the finish work yourself. DragsterSupply.com offers several different stages of kits, check them out.

Offline jason29a

• View Profile
  • Your Track: i 30 speedway
  • Your Vehicle: late model
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 08:06:50 PM »
I really think I'd like to try building own. I believe it would be a lot of fun.  I have welders, bender,  notcher, sheet metal break etc. The one thing I have noticed right away is how helpful and friendly everyone is.

Offline lmdangerous

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Byhailia MS
  • Your Vehicle: Front engine rail.
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 08:50:55 AM »
Welcome- you will love it here. Everyone has the same disease - and there is no cure.Wait I have just what the doctor ordered.
 I have a brand new( as in never made a pass straight out of paint) -  S and W FED, and enclosed trailer for sale for the the price of materials.Its NHRA cert also. Look at the pics here on the site.  Got to many cars not enough shop space and am short one engine?  8)I hate to  but time is not on my side.
lmd
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:52:59 AM by lmdangerous »

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 08:59:58 AM »
S&W KITS are popular and very reasonable for the quality
Worm or Cenpen kits are everywhere in all forms of finish usually cheap--one right now on Egay for $3900 asking price--it will sell for less when he gets ready to really sell it-- fully welded with body--would not be bad deal if you can work on him some--they pop up all the time
It takes a Lot of $$ and a ton of hours to finish one from scratch--I easy doubled my original budget and it took me 2 1/2 years for example
Lots of cars out there in different stages of build where guy has bailed --on those the big mistake to watch for is crappy welding--they can be had if you are patient
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 10:08:55 AM »
Building an entire car from scratch is a dream many have and a few finish. There is plenty for sale out there in various stages of completion and a much more affordable way to get started. One just needs to educate themselves with SFI and go from there.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 12:13:45 PM »
When I look back now--I was driving home with a bare tack welded chassis in two pieces in back of the truck--I was SOOO Happy! I was nuts to start that way--it has turned out to be one of the most rewarding efforts i have ever done but--was it the smart way? Nope--was it cheaper? NO WAY 
The good part is even though it cost more......you can do it a little at the time as you have the $$
The big hurdles are tougher to swallow but it was fun doing the scavenger hunt for everything .
If you do buy a roller have someone that knows these cars look at it so you don't buy a pile of regret--or buy a known car like one from a clubmember that has been active with it --GasserX on here bought one from a Southern Slingshots member so we were able to say we knew the car and the seller--in that case seller was a great guy so...makes it all better for everyone.

Online wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 01:17:39 PM »
SO far building fed has been awsome/.f I ever get to make a pass ,I am hoping it will be second to the ride. Figure somewhat mild combo will not be super quick but hopefully mid to upper 4's in 1/8 mile. Old RED was T/AD and ran upper 3's,but couldn't see the motor and almost always going straight.Yea BORING.

If you decide to build and sounds like you have equipment and experiance to do it. I can almost guarnatee you will enjoy the heck out of it.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »
When I look back now--I was driving home with a bare tack welded chassis in two pieces in back of the truck--I was SOOO Happy! I was nuts to start that way--it has turned out to be one of the most rewarding efforts i have ever done but--was it the smart way? Nope--was it cheaper? NO WAY 
The good part is even though it cost more......you can do it a little at the time as you have the $$
The big hurdles are tougher to swallow but it was fun doing the scavenger hunt for everything .
If you do buy a roller have someone that knows these cars look at it so you don't buy a pile of regret--or buy a known car like one from a clubmember that has been active with it --GasserX on here bought one from a Southern Slingshots member so we were able to say we knew the car and the seller--in that case seller was a great guy so...makes it all better for everyone.

I believe the above to be wise comments.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Mark Midler

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 05:38:09 PM »
There are all kinds of things to consider when starting on a dragster, but, the first thing is to get a copy of the NHRA rule book and study it every time you think of something new or see something unusual. Even though our cars have that great old school look doesn't mean they don't have be safe. If the car you are buying or building is certified by NHRA you'll find it easy to run anywhere. Don't let the certify word scare you, they are there to help get your car right so it'll be fun instead of tragedy. Mark Midler