Author Topic: Who can build a custom size axle?  (Read 8696 times)

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
Who can build a custom size axle?
« on: April 21, 2015, 09:45:24 AM »
Any recommendations on who could build me a new axle?  I have an odd width and cannot find anything online that is already made so i would need a custom one built.  It is staggered with the left side slightly in front of the right.

thanks
Scott

dreracecar

Re: Who can build a custom size axle?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:50:33 AM »
No problem for me, just need the drop and KP centerline along with your spindles.

custom 36"- 2" offset- 5'drop - SPE spindles

If you are running an index class I II III, (and because you cant go deep in staging), you want a straight up front axle to stage consistantly, and offset axle opens up a 10" window of shallow or to far in and will affect your times. Too shallow and you will run the tree and lower ET (slow RT) or in too far an your RT decreases but the ET slows. In 7.0 with offset and staging deep (Legal) the front is in the same spot everytime and the track gets shorter
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:17:41 AM by dreracecar »

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 11:17:53 AM »
I wondered why my axle is offset like that and was told by someone along the line it was to help track the car straight.  If that is not the case I guess there is no reason to keep that configuration.  My axle brackets currently do have extra holes drilled for a straight up configuration.

Sent you a PM

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 04:24:59 PM »
If the stagger in your front end was produced by simply setting one side of a single plane axle back you can end up with a minor camber issue as both spindles will be rotated relative to the axle axis to be parallel with the longitudinal axis of the car. You don't appear to have a lot of caster so the effect is minimal but it is there. When I first settled in the Indianapolis area some 25 years ago I worked for a local chassis builder and on their a-arm front ends they simply rotated the spindle jig to set the right side back and could not figure out why the wheels both leaned to the left when pointed straight ahead.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 03:04:43 AM »
I was looking at how FEDNV's axle is mounted. It looks like maybe 1/8" plate with 4 3/8's bolts. To me it looks like the plates would act as levers and place a lot of force on those bolts. Am I looking at it right? Would your new design address that?

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 04:33:05 AM »
I was looking at how FEDNV's axle is mounted. It looks like maybe 1/8" plate with 4 3/8's bolts. To me it looks like the plates would act as levers and place a lot of force on those bolts. Am I looking at it right? Would your new design address that?

I saw that too, not particularly well engineered especially with the bolts so close together. Having the axle plate in a triangular format with the bolts close to the upper and lower frame rails would have been better and having them closer to the axle itself would also help (although the left side is probably better without the "adjustability").
  I also presume that because the axle is in the stagger mode that is the reason that the clevis on the rack end of the tie rod is close to the limit of its maximum angular displacement. As the steering arm on the spindle will swing forward as the car steers it is not a problem but it just looks a little funky.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

dreracecar

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 07:58:06 AM »
One thing at a time, and the mounting issue will be addressed

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 11:14:59 AM »
front axle showed up this morning

dreracecar

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 08:21:08 AM »
Give me a call so we can discuss your axle    1-310-768-3163

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 08:23:58 AM »
OK, so first want to say thank you to Bruce for making my axle.  It fits perfect and really like the cool trick to put weight in the axle itself.  Decided to go with a straight axle this time and not deal with the stagger.  Not fully welded in yet but got it tacked in for mock up and it looks great.  We ended up using different mounting hole to slightly raise the front and added another attachment point for strength.  Also, the steering has never been so smooth and easy to turn.

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 09:38:21 AM »
Scott, thanks for posting the final part, it looks great. Has it been filled with lead shots? Is there a 'drain plug' of any sorts? What's the ballast weight of a filled axle? What's the shot gauge?

Bruce, I'll be contacting you for a front axle if I ever need to replace my SPE axle. I have a small suspicion that it may be cracking in the middle (after 40+ years of hard landings). I haven't had a chance to fully inspect it yet.

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 10:15:31 AM »
I have not filled it yet to see what the weight is.  If you look in my overhead shot you can see my weight box I made bolted to the front of the car and that is filled with shot and weighs around 40 lbs. so my plan was to fill the axle and use the box for extra weight if needed.

My old axle had cracked where the brackets were welded to the tubing and you could not even see it until it finally broke.  After it did you could see it had been cracked for a long time before it failed as it was rusted.  Not very good on a 160 + mph pass.  My car was built in the early 90's so it had some time on it as well.

dreracecar

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 11:33:43 AM »
I bore the KP boss with a 1/2" hole and put it towards the inside of the axle. Stand the axle up and pour the shot through the KP bore. install spindle and the KP holds the shot in place.